How do you search for a footprint in Ver 5

Is DB9 still missing in Ver 5 ?

I found this thread:

but its all about Ver 4, I cant make it work…

Firstly, How to search for a footprint when inside the Schematic editor
I am editing a component DB9, trying to add a footprint… How to search ?

Check the Connector_Dsub footprint library.

that’s rather difficult… for a newbie
why isn’t it a standard install ?
all done now, painful :frowning:

“Connector_Dsub” seems pretty intuitive to me. And why there isn’t one footprint assigned to the symbol as a default, my question is which one? There are 10 different DB9 male connectors, none of which may end up fitting the DB9 that you buy because of differences in mounting pins.

Or, did you mean DB9 female? There are also 10 of those.

When choosing a symbol to place, you can choose a footprint right there, and it gives you a list. See this screenshot: (Sorry a little large, I have a big screen.)

And if you don’t like the options given, if you select “Other…” you get the footprint browser window. FWIW, the above example doesn’t have all 10 DB9 female options, because some of the options don’t have mounting holes and the symbol I chose for this example is the mounting hole version.

FWIW, I’m running one of the latest nightlies, the first RC3 tagged package. Though, since RC2 should have been on feature freeze, I would imagine any of the RC2s would work the same way.

If I want to really get pedantic, DB9 doesn’t really exist (or if it does it is a highly customized connector). See, the originators of the D-Subminiature (or DSub for short) organized the part number as D + [Shell size code] + [pin count]. The “B” shell size is what is usually seen as a DB25. The shell size for the standard 9 pin is code “E”, so the proper name should be DE9. For more details check out this Wikipedia page.

@Librarians - No, I’m not advocating naming the library parts accurately with DE9 (DA15, DB25, DC37, DD50, DE9, DE15), because then only the hardcore connector nerds would find them. :wink:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.