How can I have Kicad version v5 and the new v6 together in the same machine while v6 is not still official?

This motivated me to try it a few times in a row. On the fourth attempt I get a different message:

[sudo] password for paul:                  
Cannot add PPA: '"Failed to download the PPA: HTTPSConnectionPool(host='launchpad.net', port=443): Max retries exceeded with url: /api/1.0/~kicad/+archive/kicad-6.0-releases (Caused by NewConnectionError('<urllib3.connection.VerifiedHTTPSConnection object at 0x7fdd24579790>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno 101] Network is unreachable'))."'.
paul@cezanne:~$ sudo add-apt-repository --yes ppa:kicad/kicad-6.0-releases
Cannot add PPA: '"Failed to download the PPA: HTTPConnectionPool(host='ppa.launchpad.net', port=80): Max retries exceeded with url: /kicad/kicad-6.0-releases/ubuntu/dists/focal (Caused by NewConnectionError('<urllib3.connection.HTTPConnection object at 0x7fd4750ad100>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno 101] Network is unreachable'))."'.
Cannot add PPA: '"Failed to download the PPA: HTTPConnectionPool(host='ppa.launchpad.net', port=80): Max retries exceeded with url: /kicad/kicad-6.0-releases/ubuntu/dists/focal (Caused by NewConnectionError('<urllib3.connection.HTTPConnection object at 0x7f21dc496100>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno 101] Network is unreachable'))."'.
You are about to add the following PPA:
 Officials KiCad 6.0 releases

For the moment, 6.0.0 was not released. Only RC is available.
 More info: https://launchpad.net/~kicad/+archive/ubuntu/kicad-6.0-releases
Executing: /tmp/apt-key-gpghome.iHu9bGFIeS/gpg.1.sh --keyserver hkps://keyserver.ubuntu.com:443 --recv-keys FDA854F61C4D0D9572BB95E5245D5502FAD7A805
gpg: key 245D5502FAD7A805: "Launchpad PPA for KiCad" not changed
gpg: Total number processed: 1
gpg:              unchanged: 1

At the moment I’m not motivated to put much effort into this because of the incompatibility of V5.1.12 and V6.0.0-rc.

I can install KiCad-nightly V6.9.9, and that is probably good enough if I’m proofreading the “Getting Started in KiCad” guide, and try some things if they’re not clear. I just won’t update screenshots from V6.9.9 (Unless of trivial things).
For the rest I can wait until KiCad V6 has been released officially.

It has been, yesterday.

This looks like a issue with your internet, or maybe there are some issues with the CDN

Network is unreachable

See if you can browse to

http://ppa.launchpad.net/kicad/kicad-6.0-releases/ubuntu/

Then have a look under

http://ppa.launchpad.net/kicad/kicad-6.0-releases/ubuntu/pool/main/k/kicad/

You should see 6.0.0 listed for your version. So something like

kicad_6.0.0-1-202112231423+d3dd2cf0fa~116~ubuntu20.04.1_amd64.deb

If its not there is points to some CDN issue. Maybe try again in a few hours.

I’ve loaded the source into Ubuntu 20.04 and it works 100%.
6.0 stable is released and it should install.

greg@greg-X553MA:~$ dpkg -l | grep kicad
ii  kicad                                      6.0.0-1-202112231423+d3dd2cf0fa~116~ubuntu20.04.1 amd64        Electronic schematic and PCB design software
ii  kicad-demos                                6.0.0-1-202112231423+d3dd2cf0fa~116~ubuntu20.04.1 all          Common files used by kicad
ii  kicad-doc-en                               6.0.0-1-202112240915+1826~29~ubuntu20.04.1        all          Kicad help files (English)
ii  kicad-footprints                           6.0.0-1-202112231422+3ea7895b0~11~ubuntu20.04.1   all          Kicad footprints (modules)
ii  kicad-libraries                            6.0.0-1-202112231422+8~ubuntu20.04.1              all          meta-package for dep to all KiCad libraries (symbols, footprints, templates and 3D models)
ii  kicad-packages3d                           6.0.0-1-202112231425+e607286d~9~ubuntu20.04.1     all          Kicad packages3d (3d models for footprints)
ii  kicad-symbols                              6.0.0-1-202112231425+275f22eb~7~ubuntu20.04.1     all          Kicad symbols (schematic)
ii  kicad-templates                            6.0.0-1-202112231423+3a422b5~9~ubuntu20.04.1      all          Kicad templates

On Ubuntu 21.10, after purgin all my kicad-related ppas and adding back ppa for 5.1 I cannot install it due to missing dependencies.

➜ sudo apt install kicad
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 kicad : Depends: libngspice-kicad but it is not installable or
                  libngspice0 but it is not installable
         Recommends: kicad-libraries but it is not going to be installed
         Recommends: kicad-doc-en but it is not going to be installed
         Recommends: kicad-demos but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

This is the one I am trying to install

➜ sudo apt-cache policy kicad
kicad:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 5.1.12-202111050918+84ad8e8a86~92~ubuntu21.10.1
  Version table:
     5.1.12-202111050918+84ad8e8a86~92~ubuntu21.10.1 500
        500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/kicad/kicad-5.1-releases/ubuntu impish/main amd64 Packages

Does this really need to be a dependency on this package?

Installing it from here helped me to install Kicad

But It should not be a dependency, I think.

KiCad V6 has been working properly for me for some days now.
I don’t know what happened with the launchpad repository, but apparently it’s been fixed.

I don’t care much about loosing KiCad V5 myself, although if there are lots of forum questions related to KiCad V5 and some Appimage is easily installable, then I may install it just to look up some things to answer forum questions. But it’s not high on my priority list.

I would also be very interested to hear from @jsreynaud on that topic. Our company runs entirely on V5 and I would like to investigate the switch to V6 knowing I can still work on V5. @leoheck suggested it should be doable if the old packages had the version appended to the end (eg. kicad-5 or similar), it seems to match the information I’m finding.

It is quite scary to update to V6 with the changes to the symbol and schematic formats. Not because of lack of backups, but because there is no easy way to downgrade the version if V6 starts to act up and we’re seeing discrepancies on our projects compared to V5. Or is there an easy way to go back to 5.1.12 using PPA that is document somewhere?

EDIT: I have tried to downgrade from 5.1.12 to 5.1.10 to no success:

$ sudo apt-get install kicad=5.1.10
[sudo] password for francois: 
Building dependency tree       
E: Version '5.1.10' for 'kicad' was not found
$ sudo apt-get install kicad=5.1.10-202107120859+88a1d61d58~90~ubuntu20.04.1
Building dependency tree       
E: Version '5.1.10-202107120859+88a1d61d58~90~ubuntu20.04.1' for 'kicad' was not found

You cannot downgrade to 5.1.10 using the PPA because the PPA only keeps the most recent release of the 5.1 series.

I don’t think that there is a way in Ubuntu to easily have both kicad v6 and kicad v5 installed. That said, it is easy to downgrade to 5.1.12 if you decide to.

You can download 5.10 deb file and manually install from:

Failing that you can manually download the .deb file from:

That said, it is easy to downgrade to 5.1.12 if you decide to.

Can you please explain the “easy” method?

The way that you were trying. Except, use the package in the PPA.

sudo apt install kicad=5.1.12-202111050915+84ad8e8a86~92~ubuntu18.04.1

Use apt-cache show kicad to see what the package names available for you are

Wish I didn’t have to go there… But well how would I know which deb file to download for my computer?

Oh okay I see. I’m gonna give this a shot then! Thanks @Seth_h

Actually scratch that.
5.1.10 looks like it’s only available for Ubuntu 20.10.1

Do a
cat /etc/os-release
to see what version of Ubuntu you are on.

Ok so I guess I can live with the temporary solution of switching to V6

$ sudo apt install kicad

and then back to V5

$ sudo apt install kicad=5.1.12-202111050916+84ad8e8a86~92~ubuntu20.04.1

and not using the settings import first time V6 was run, I can find V5 back in the same state.

Thanks!

@eeintech
FYI I have updated the AppImage scripts for ubuntu focal
It should work out of the box
Feel free to report issues here

and generated two AppImage releases for kicad v5.1.12 and kicad v6.0.0 downloadable here

KiCad-5.1.12.glibc2.29-x86_64.AppImage

KiCad-6.0.0.glibc2.29-x86_64.AppImage

Edit:
Before you can run an AppImage, you need to make it executable.

4 Likes

Hey, @eeintech I was trying to survive with this temporary solution myself. But Kicad is pretty big to keep downloading libs every time. So this was not good for me, even if I have a good internet connection everywhere. I just don’t like it.

Now, kicad-5 could be made available AS IT IS the kicad-nightly. It would be just a matter of replacing the --nightly suffix with the -5. It would be great during this transitioning time. It is not that much of an effort to provide this since the nightly already created this solution.

I hate to say that. Companies are pretty slow to change things. They are pretty slow to even try the change. Most of the time they are even afraid of trying. Now, there are people like you and me that do everything possible to learn and keep the new functionalities coming. With that said, It would HELP A LOT the community if people could TEST the v6 while still using v5.

Now, talking about this Kicad 6. It is a good tool. Full of features. It looks it is pretty slow, something is not right on Linux. But the change is not that hard if you already know how Kicad works. And since the files are textual. It is possible to look for issues. Most of the time, issues were on my custom libs. There the issue was with variables I was using to refer to my custom 3d models and these variables were not replaced automatically. Then I had to make sed on my .kicad_pcb and also in my libs to fix this issue. Libs are easily converted to the new version of Kicad. This is awesome. Schematics in the board can be updated from the newly converted lib by updating components in the EEschema all at once.

I was more worried about 3rd party tools that are still in process of migrating to Kicad v6 if any. The Kicad project conversion is pretty simple and straightforward. For instance, I cannot use kiri since I cannot export schematic on Kicad-6 (plotgitsch is not adapted yet to the new Kicad-6 schematic file type)

Hey @eeintech, I have a script to install and load Kicad 5.1.12 in a folder while Kicad 6 is already installed in the system. I put it here https://github.com/leoheck/parallel-kicad-5.1. It is pretty easy to install and use. Feel free to test it. my preliminary tests show that this works fine.

AppImage is a single file self containing all the needed resources… It can run without conflict with other versions and libraries…
It is the same concept of the portable apps in win…
Then you can i.e. run kv5 Appimage and having installed kicad stable v6 side by side… that’s it