Help needed with PCB design based on existing project

I’ll say it again. Given that in the photo most of the modules are off the main board and connected by wires to it, and the main board has little more than the MCU and some pin headers, why not buy an off-the-shelf 1284A board?

The 2 module from te left side are the sensor interfaces and they are not in the schematic, only the connectors and the part with the 2 relays (to wich the interfaces connect) wich can be on the same board with the MCU. The author made the project with what he had arround, but that doesn’t mean this is the only way it has to be done.

Firstly looks relatively simple at first glance, If it were me I would sit with Kicad and check through and tidy up the schematic, is there a .SCH file for download ? if so I am prepared to look at it but I am not familiar with GITHUB so how do I get a copy of the schematic to begin a new project in Kicad please?

Yes the best place to start is the .SCH file for this schematic that I can put in Kicad and orient myself
Regards
Andy

I dont see any Gerber’s the PCB has not been made.

regards
Andy

I was playing around with it last night and tried positioning the footprints. I haven’t routed any tracks yet. Not sure if this would be a useful starting point for you.

pcb.zip (993.2 KB)

Thanks for giving it a try. I will atach the file from github.
Regards,
Cosmin
HB-UNI-Sen-POOL.sch (28.5 KB)

It’s a start for sure, thanks
Regards,
Cosmin

It looks very nice and professional, thanks. I will try to route the tracks tonight.

Thanks for the .SCH… 2 of the chips where missing as I assume the symbols where created by the designer one chip I have done but the CC1101 (U2) appears on the schematic as an 8 pin device but I cannot find such a device ! any thoughts ? I am trying to make a complete Kicad project and begin from there
Regards
Andy

I leave you a link to download the whole archive and there you will find the CC1101 footprint aswell.
In the right side you have a green button named “CODE” and under the button you have the “Download ZIP” option. In the archive is the whole project with libraries, etc.

CC1101.kicad_mod (2.2 KB) cc1101.lib (532 Bytes) CC1101_Module.step (337.3 KB) CC1101_SMD.kicad_mod (1.8 KB) DIP254P762X420-8.kicad_mod (4.8 KB) PCF8583P.lib (925 Bytes) PCF8583P.step (399.8 KB)

Before jumping straigt into making a PCB for the project as it is presented now, you should start with thinking about what you want on the PCB.

• Do you want to copy the circuits of the PH meters on your main PCB?
  • SMT or THT?
  • Connectors?
  • More?

No, the Gravity interfaces should remain as they are, and everything elese should be on the board (relays, connectors). THT should be OK.

The complete project should be in the zipfile I posted yesterday, too, as well as on GitHub. The project is structured strangely, because the directory additional is being used like a .pretty directory to hold .kicad_mod files, even though it doesn’t have a .pretty extension. And the same directory is also being used to hold .lib files, too. So it’s weird, but it all loads properly for me in KiCad 5.1.12.

PCB
├── additional
│   ├── CC1101.kicad_mod
│   ├── cc1101.lib
│   ├── CC1101_Module.step
│   ├── CC1101_SMD.kicad_mod
│   ├── DIP254P762X420-8.kicad_mod
│   ├── PCF8583P.lib
│   └── PCF8583P.step
├── fp-info-cache
├── fp-lib-table
├── HB-UNI-Sen-POOL-cache.lib
├── HB-UNI-Sen-POOL.kicad_pcb
├── HB-UNI-Sen-POOL.kicad_pcb-bak
├── HB-UNI-Sen-POOL.pdf
├── HB-UNI-Sen-POOL.png
├── HB-UNI-Sen-POOL.pro
├── HB-UNI-Sen-POOL.sch
├── HB-UNI-Sen-POOL.sch-bak
└── sym-lib-table

1 directory, 18 files

Ok thanks I have the whole project now hopefully I will get some time in the next few days to check it out
Regards
Andy

Thanks !
I have the whole thing now, I’m not that good at file structure I don’t usually need to know, Kicad is a tool to me and I love it but now I’ve learned a bit more.
Regards
Andy

Ok I have a working project now and found that the Reset was not connected from the ISP header I have added that to the MCU and it is error free, you have all the footprints assigned so I will also have ago at the layout (time permitting!) over the next couple of days, I will work from the Photo regarding layout.
Regards
Andy

Cool! Looking forward. Thanks.

I routed the tracks as the ratsnets indicated, is it OK like this or I should followed only the schematic? I think there are no errors… It looks like this.

HB-UNI-Sen-POOL forum.rar (16.0 KB)