HackSpace (& The MagPi): Getting started with KiCad

HackSpace has started a beginner’s series to KiCad with a Raspberry Pi Pico add-on board as an example:

3 Likes

I hope they have a publication date and Kicad version prominently displayed.

3 Likes

Just a general complaint with “How To’s” on the internet. Not aimed at this article specifically. (In a picky mood tonight, sorry @mgyger ). Most have a habit of dating very quickly and users of these Tutorials end up confused and frustrated because the Users program is different to the Instructors program.

Instructors need to prominently display versions used, and students need to open their eyes and read versions used.

3 Likes

Second part available:

2 Likes
1 Like

The KiCad project files are available via the Download resources link there.

2 Likes

Kudos to you for continuing to follow and post these articles.

2 Likes

It looks like the series continues in issue 73.

It would be nice if this series had a Creative Commons license so the entire set could be collected into a single PDF and linked to from the KiCad docs. Also, the CC license would allow editing so the tutorial could be updated for 8.0.

I had a short peek at the colophon of issue 70, and it states:

Except where otherwise noted, content in this magazine is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial- ShareAlike 3.0 Unported (CC BY-NC- SA 3.0). ISSN: 2515-5148

I also had a short peek around the text of the article and did not see a (clear) exception for it.

You can also start editing :slight_smile: On page 55 (of HS70) there is a section about converting EasyEDA symbols and footprints to KiCad, and KiCad V7.99 already has:

1 Like

Excellent news! Thanks for digging that out.

For the bigger picture, I think it is both simpler and more useful to just short circuit that magazine and the KiCad website together.

I do think they deserve a listing on:

and the simplest way to do that is to use the contact form on:

But that contact form requires an E-mail address, and I have no intention of filling in my personal e-mail address in such a form, so I will leave that to someone else.

I created a Github repo for the HackSpace KiCad tutorials. A single document containing the collection of tutorials can be read here. Unfortunately, given the formatting for a magazine layout, it doesn’t appear that there’s an easy way to convert the tutorials into a form like Markdown that’s easy to edit.

1 Like

I agree - I hate having to provide a verifiable email just to register but … that’s what disposable email addresses are for. Just search for 5 or 10 minute email addresses which provides a unique one time email that lasts only a few minutes. Just sufficient time to register and confirm the email and access the content without having to reveal your real email.

audioXpress also had an introduction:

1 Like

I’ve updated the compilation of HackSpace KiCad tutorials with issue #73.

2 Likes

I’ve updated the compilation of KiCad tutorials with the new additions from HackSpace issue #74 and the MagPi Magazine issue #137.

1 Like