Gnd net not in netlist? kicad v8

Hi all,

Once a year i create a board and this year i used Kicad 8 to do this.
B
When the schematic was ready i moved to layout and wanted to create a ground plane but i noticed gnd is not listed in my nets.
Did i miss anything? I used the gnd symbols like i always do.

Correction, the project was upgraded from V7.
I created a new project in V8 with a led and this works fine.

Can i manually add this net in my project?
Looks like a bug to me.

I didn’t installed V8 yet.

Don’t you have other labeled net connected to GND?
If so they both are one net and which one of the names will propagate to PCB is sometimes not deterministic, as KiCad don’t knows to which you are more attached.

Yes, i tried it but it does not connect to other nets that are connected to GND.

I was not using KiCad for 3+ months.
If you update pcb from schematic and you know one pin that is certainly connected with GND you should be able to see at PCB the net name written at the corresponding pad.
The question is:
Is that net name:

1. autogenerated by KiCad or,
  2. it is one of your net names.

If 1. than it can be a bug to be found why pin clearly connected to GND is not connected to GND.
If 2. then you should search were you connected that net with GND.

update:
I solved the issue by removing all my GND symbols in the schematic.
Did a search to make sure all are removed.
pressed “P” to add the GND symbol again the first few times.
Updated the board using “F8”.
Now i see GND is listed again.

It is possible that you were seeing a bug that should be reported.

probably, still trying to figure it out, i added all gnd again and now it happened again.
So starting over to see where it fails…

reported the issue:

Seems like there is a complication with this issue too but there is not reason to report it as it will be fixed anyway:
When there is a second global label added to GND it is not connected to the first one.

This appears to be working the way it’s supposed to. Nets can only have one name. When you have multiple labels on a net, one name is picked according to the rules here:

Global labels have a higher “net name priority” than power symbols, so your global label test1 has priority over the GND symbol.

When you have two labels of the same type, the alphabetically first one has priority, so test1 is used instead of test2.

Kicad has worked this way for a long time. I would be surprised if it changes. KiCad does not have a concept of “special” net names like GND (nor should it in my opinion).

P.S. your issue was closed because you didn’t copy in the full version info. The instructions are in the template, but you can copy the version info from help → about → copy version info, or use help → report a bug to open a report with the version info automatically included.

It was my first question and you said that:

I ran out of time to do more tests yesterday but i found the issue:

Kicad has worked this way for a long time. I would be surprised if it changes.

Seems like it did change because this still works on V7.

@Piotr what i said is still true, the global label does connect to the GND fine but not the other nets connected to GND it seems.

I just made this and the result in V8 is that multiple global labels on the GND net do not connect to eachother:

I will create a new bug report now and add it to this topic.

What was not connected in your example?
At your example I don’t see if something else is connected somewhere else at schematic to GND. So the only 2 things connected are D1 and D2. At your PCB view it looks that they are connected. For me everything looks correct.
And as you connected other net (test1) to GND making them being one net than KiCad selecting the name for this net just chose test1.
I don’t know the name choosing rules. May be all global net names has the same priority and simply chance decides which one is used.
Only one what I don’t understand is the connection line between LEDs still being visible when routing this one track. But I have not installed V8 yet and now I’m writing from Win7 PC so with KiCad V5 here.
May be it is new feature (I have never heard about) that KiCad shows you all the time also original connection you are working on. Or may be I don’t remember that behavior (I have now a few moths break in using KiCad).

I was under the impression that it allowed me to connect one of those leds but i see now that i was too fast.
This is correct.

On my schematic it seems to not connect test1 and test2 together.
I have to figure out why.

Sorry. I don’t understand (not for the first time) what you are trying to say.
Why it seems to you that at your schematic test1 and test2 are not connected when they are clearly connected with the dot (the only one dot at your schematic).

I mean on the original project, not on this example.
in the project they are connected like the above example but in pcbnew i see test1 and 2 unconnected.

Delete all test1 and test2 labels and connect a GND symbol to the cathode of each LED.

As you used the names from example and example was also your schematic I was sure that you are speaking about this test schematic.
If you have such connection at schematic and it is not made at PCB with (Update PCB with… schematic) than you should minimize your project as much as possible to still have this bug and add it into your bug report to allow developers find why this connection from schematic is not transferred to PCB.

Not according to my test. Connect a ground symbol to a global label in V7 and the net takes the name from the label.

As I now understand OP has two such global labels connected to GND and using one of their names instead of GND is only one problem. The second is that they (these two labels) are not connected at PCB.

1 Like