Footprint Help! [78 pin D-SUB]

I am having a really hard time formulating this footprint. I wonder if anyone has a similar footprint I could use?
http://www.te.com/commerce/DocumentDelivery/DDEController?Action=showdoc&DocId=Customer+Drawing5748483B3pdfEnglishENG_CD_5748483_B3__.pdf5748483-5
It is a 78 pin PCB mounted Dsub connector

Take a look at this page, containing perhaps the largest set of KiCAD library files on the web, except for the official KiCAD library repository itself:
http://smisioto.no-ip.org/elettronica/kicad/kicad-en.htm

Approximately one-fourth of the way down the page, find the section headed with “D-SUB Connectors”, and download the associated footprint file. It includes footprints for D-SUB connectors with 50, 68, and 100 pins. Are any of those useful as a starting point for the footprint you must create?

(If not, perhaps there is another connector on that smisioto page which is more suitable.)

Dale

2 Likes

If the link by @dchisholm does not lead to a correct footprint, you have a few options.

If any of these footprints has the correct pin spacing, drill diameter and pad sizes i would take this footprint and just edit the fab and silk layer to be correct.

If there is no footprint with completely correct pads, i would create the footprint from scratch. (is a lot faster than to edit 78 pads)

I would set the user grid up in such a way that you place two of the pad rows with one setting. (Then move the grid origin and do the other half.)
Sometimes it helps to place all needed pads in one go to some place outside the footprint area and later move them to the correct place with the grid trick. (Kicad always sets the pin number of newly placed pads to the next free number.)

2 Likes

O my goodness, I didn’t know how to use the grid system until now, I just started using KiCad and was wondering how to line up pads when it had strange dimensions. THANK YOU

You can even just place pad #1 and then use the array function to do the remainder… [Ctrl]+[Z] will be needed a couple of times I guess though :wink:

1 Like

Can you share the footprint?

But why should you do things Twice?

If someone already done it?

I don’t understand why d-sub hd is not among standard components in the database?

@azumakazuma has not been on since 2017
It really isn’t hard to make your own footprints and it is an essential skill in PCB design