Error units mm don´t work

I have got this incongruity and mm units never work.

What do you mean by “never work”? And what’s your KiCad version?

Sorry i updated the image. i choose mm unit but all continues in inches. this happen since i instaled the lates 5.1 version today. the only one that changes is the grid unit but the others things stuck in inches. inclusive when i add a dimmention it shows it in inches.

Ok. Sorry i was confused. What i meaned i can´t put the measure in mm. I did this after change unit to mm:

Look here…

1 Like

I can´t find those options:

I guess I have a newer version, sorry I couldn’t help.
However I would think the option is there somewhere, perhaps a google search for “kicad dimension units”

Seems like measurements stay in the units they get when they are made.
Which is also the way I would prefer it.

No they don’t. It’s imposible to put the measure in mm in mine.

1. Select mm as unit on the left menu
  2. Draw new dimension line

I do get dimensions in mm then

I have never had a need to use inches in dimension objects, but it seems to work fine:

Application: Pcbnew
Version: (5.1.6)-1, release build
Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.0.4
libcurl/7.66.0 OpenSSL/1.1.1d (Schannel) zlib/1.2.11 brotli/1.0.7 libidn2/2.2.0 libpsl/0.21.0 (+libidn2/2.1.1) nghttp2/1.39.2
Platform: Windows 8 (build 9200), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW
Build Info:
wxWidgets: 3.0.4 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8)
Boost: 1.71.0
OpenCASCADE Community Edition: 6.9.1
Curl: 7.66.0
Compiler: GCC 9.2.0 with C++ ABI 1013

Build settings:
USE_WX_GRAPHICS_CONTEXT=OFF
USE_WX_OVERLAY=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_PYTHON3=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=ON
KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON_PHOENIX=OFF
KICAD_SCRIPTING_ACTION_MENU=ON
BUILD_GITHUB_PLUGIN=ON
KICAD_USE_OCE=ON
KICAD_USE_OCC=OFF
KICAD_SPICE=ON

Double click on an already displayed dimension line and select the unit.

cota

Works. Thank you.
It could be a bug in the x64 package.

If you’re using the very last version and suspect a bug, report it to the issue tracker https://gitlab.com/kicad/code/kicad/-/issues with evidences (screencast for example). And don’t forget to mention the complete version info.

Most of us are using 64bit packages.

Hello!
By the way, would there be any way to get rid of all the alternative units between ()s?
When I work in mm, I’m not interested in having the mil equivalent, and I suppose those
who work in inch think the same way about mms.
Beside this, another a few other odd things:

• is it necessary to repeat Grid: at every line in the menu? Same for the via and track width.
  • I don’t understand what Edit user grid actually does. I have set it to the center of my current PCB.
    Just for a try. I have set the grid to 0.3, 0.3 for a test, to be sure that I don’t confuse with something existing. Now if I select User grid, I actually get 0.3, 0.3, but the center of my PCB is still at the same coordinate it used to be, no 0,0.
  • why is there only one user grid?
  • if I could select a few items that I use, and discard all other menu items I don’t use, it would be great.

I’m using 5.1.6 on Windows 10.

Thanks,

Pascal

It shouldn’t be.

Be more specific, quote verbatim - I don’t find such text in the pcbnew UI.

Because nobody has implemented more.

There’s an issue for that wish: #2295.

The developers would like to redesign the grid system, but I’m not optimistic about the schedule.

Hello Eelik!

Thanks for your reply.
I will (try to) explain better.
There is a “Edit user grid…” menu.
I wanted to try what it actually does and chosed this option. As the main chip in my PCB is at (150,100), I thought it would be good if my user grid was centered around this value so that I can nicely align other components around it, same distance left and right, etc… For a test, I thought I have to set values that are not in the default menu. Otherwise, if I set for instance 0.25mm, I will never know if what I have selected is my user grid or the existing 0.25mm grid.

UserGrid

Now once this is set, I can actually verify that the grid is (0.3, 0.3) and the mouse pointer moves by 0.3, but I don’t understand where the (150, 100) setting in the above window is gone. When I hover on the chip center after this setting, the coordinates say (150, 100), not (0, 0) as I would have expected by setting the grid origin at (150, 100). Reset grid origin just clears the X and Y fields.

NB: I’m aware of the space bar for shifting the origin. But it would be nice to be able to make it default of the current design’s global coordinates, and leave the possibility to have local coordinates when necessary.

And another thing: it would be very handy to have more fast switching grids. I would be happy with 5 of them, by using Alt-3 ~ Alt-n.

Thanks,

Pascal

Grid origin is the starting point for rendering the grid. It’s the one point which is always on the grid. Currently it can be used as a reference point for some actions, but it’s not the coordinate origin. Its purpose is to allow moving the grid regardless of the coordinate system.

You can for example set 10mm grid, put the coordinate origin to (100.4947454,100.94759758) and start placing items 10mm apart from each other. Without the coordinate origin you would be tied to coordinates (100,100) ,(110,110) etc.

1 Like