Error units mm don´t work

It might be a bit provocative, but can’t we get rid of the entire ‘imperial’ measurement system altogether. There is no real need to maintain an inches. And while we are at the subject the same applies to comma versus decimal point and the date format too. All anachronistic attributes of a bygone aera. Coma vs. point being quite a nuisance as it is implemented in a inconsistent fashion in KiCad.

When all other software and real world stops using imperial, I’m pretty sure KiCad will follow the suite. Otherwise such attempt isn’t related to KiCad. Because imperial is used outside KiCad, it must exist in KiCad, too. So KiCad has a real need to maintain inches.

I beg to differ, the ‘real’ world (of electronics) has stopped using imperial. As one might have recognized the semiconductor industry brings out new footprints only in metric. There is no problem converting/documenting antiquated measurements in metric. I mention this because the effort to maintain the old system is significant and eats resource which could be focussing on more important stuff. As we all know and appreciate Kicads architecture has been converted to metric a few versions ago.

As of KiCad, that’s not true. The system exists already in KiCad and doesn’t need much maintenance. Removing it would bring million times more problems and maintenance burden. And it’s not about new datasheet, but also all existing old ones and old designs which are used. BTW, I see inches all the time in new datasheets, too, although not usually exclusively.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.