Driving multiple PCB designs from a single schematic?

OK, first, very new to this so really sorry if I use the wrong terms or just say very silly things in general.

I have a project where I have laid out my schematic, but due to hardware restraints, I need to split the design over 2 PCBs. I have a feeling the right approach is breaking up the single sheet into hierarchical sheets and global nets to connect between the sheets/boards, is that correct?

Any tutorials out there dealing with this (not been able to find much on V6).

Thank you!

creating two pcbs from a single schematic is currently not supported with kicad. The main restriction is the board-outline, as pcbnew allows only one closed board-outline

I recommend exploring yourself - the solution is nothing more than Copy, Paste and Modify/Create New PCB Shape.

Very simple, especially if using the Same Schematic/Netlist (can also do with different schematic/netlist if knowing what to do).

Example shows:
• Same Schematic
• Same Netlist
• PCB Original
• PCB #2

How to do it? Answer:

1. In your systems Explorer/Finder, Copy the PCB and Paste it back into the Project
  2. Rename the Copied/Pasted one
  3. Open the Pasted one and Modify it as desired…

There are other ways of doing it, too. Depends on your end-game…

2 Likes

Thank you, I certainly have a lot of exploring to do!

My main concern is having header from one PCB matching on the second PCB, both in physical space and pin out.

But guess as long as I use the same grid for spacing and triple check my orientation, and some cut and paste I should be good as both PCBs with have the same width, having straight ribbon cables should be easily archivable!

Consider setting the Auxiliary Origin and Grid Origin (the tools are in the Tool strip).
That way, you get correct locations…

1 Like

I think that wouldn’t be a problem if you place your parts before you copy. I don’t know what will be different between the PCBs. Good luck.
OtG

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.