DRC check in different KiCad Versions ("Float on Top" programming)

Ok, here we go with the same thing once again :slight_smile:

Anyone heard if this primary function is planned to be fixed or not? Or is it a setting available which makes the DRC window stay on top? And a setting which makes the fat Pacman arrows more modern, slick and clear?

I guess you are referring to this gitlab issue: clicking on erc/drc-marker hides erc/drc-dialog behind board-window (#14356) Ā· Issues Ā· KiCad / KiCad Source Code / kicad Ā· GitLab
The issue is still open, but is currently not assigned to somebody.

Maybe this affects only some Macos users. At least there is no big support in the issue, and also on this forum there are not much threads regarding this topic. (And I second you - this looks like a annoying behaviour).

And a setting which makes the fat Pacman arrows more modern, slick and clear?

switch to linux or windows? That would also solve the DRC dialog issue. (note: this sentence contains only 50% seriousness. Donā€™t take it as invitation to revive the Amiga ā†” Atari wars)

v7.0.11 Mac Monterey 12.7.4

It floats and stays open until I Exit the Schematic

Clarification (because ERC and DRC are not the same thing):

The ERC remains open until Schematic-Editor is Exited.

The DRC remains open until PCB-Editor is Exited.

Thanks for inviting me to linux or Windows, that was a funny one, a bit like getting back to the 80ā€™s, or if it was the 90ā€™s installing Windows 3.0 again :slight_smile: No, I donā€™t want wars, I want love and understanding and wonderful software where bugs are solved fast as a shark. Does this mean this is a Mac OS problem (Higher than Monterey)? Hm, but KiCad 6 works well in this regard also in the latest Sonoma. BlackCoffee, do you stay in Monterey because you need to have a flow, to not get a nervous breakdown, when using the KiCad DRC?

I stay with Monterey because my iMac (year 2015) will not accept newer OSX

Ok I see, had the same dilemma with my Mac Mini 2012.

Thereā€™s a lot of info about this available. This only if you dare to take the risk as a chance. And also then not being able to run KiCad DRC smoothly :wink:

Thanks,
Been there, done thatā€¦ Yesterday I donated several older iMacā€™s, MacBookā€™s and Android Tabletā€™sā€¦ Iā€™m almost ā€˜doneā€™ with technologyā€¦ and looking forward to Pencil & Paper (and, leaving behind Forums, YouTubeā€¦).

Ok, good luck, pencil and paper aint bad either.

Thanks mf_ibfeew. I try to read there and understand why I donā€™t manage to report errors/bugs there. Why is this ā€œbugā€ reporting part so complicated for KiCad? I try to understand the GUI/what is said there but with no good luck. Should it be reported somewhere else or what to do? I posted a message there now to try to wake the topic up.

ā€œHello, still no change in this matter (same error behaviours remain both in PCB DRC and Schematics DRC) in ALL Kicad versions post KiCad 6 and on MAC OS (now and here Sonoma 14.4.1). Why isnā€™t this looked at? Why is it so hard to fix this when it was working in KiCad 6 in the same MAC OS? Thankā€™s for your help.ā€

@TheSwede

Maybe the developers donā€™t like Mac, so place it at the bottom of the ā€œto doā€ list? :grinning:

Iā€™m unable to open your video in the Opening Post. Is this another problem with Mac? :rofl: :rofl:

May be the case with liking macs, you mean similar with a car driver who donā€™t prefer bicycles or the people driving those vehicles, especially if the bicycle is as fast, or faster, than his (only ā€œhis/heā€, never ā€œher/sheā€) car and the car driver happen to see that the bicycle driver looks happy-healthy and canā€™t understand why the people around in the street, particularly girls, seem impressed by that fool on 2-wheels?

I canā€™t say why you canā€™t see the video and guessing its content is irrelevant.

( https://himmelstrutz.com/kicad/kicad_6or7or8or9_drc.mp4 )