Is development of KiCad for MAC OS on the way out?

The question is asked because it seems some topics seem low prioritised, one of them is a long time asked question which is mentioned here: DRC check in different KiCad Versions ("Float on Top" programming) - #11 by TheSwede where a member is mentioning priorities.

Only a few developers with MACs and issues with older OS versions. It restricts the rate of MAC specific fixes.

Is development of KiCad for MAC OS on the way out?

No

where a member is mentioning priorities.

Forum members can speculate whatever they want, I guess.

I don’t see a bug report on GitLab about this issue, can you link it if you created it?

We don’t support versions of macOS that Apple doesn’t support at all, and we have limited ability to investigate issues on 12.x (which is going to be unsupported this year). But if the issue happens on 14.x we can investigate.

1 Like

Thanks craftyjohn, the link is in the top of that page (it’s more than one year old I think):

If it’s still unclear what the problem is I also showed it a few days back in this video:

OK. From your comment:

Why isn’t this looked at?

Because nobody has decided to look at it.

If you want to influence a developer to look at a particular issue, you can get paid support from https://www.kipro-pcb.com/

Otherwise, posting comments asking why nobody has gotten around to your particular issue aren’t very useful.

Thanks. Ok I will read about it at your link and try to understand. Didn’t know this was available and if I can afford it. We will see. I add it as a browser bookmark.

https://www.kipro-pcb.com/main/subscribe/request-quote/

What I see there the support is for KiCad v4 to v6 so I will currently not ask for a pro forma invoice. Maybe they will update this soon so let’s wait and maybe the bug I’m talking about time after time is solved in the same time as the support page is updated. That would be great.

Their website is out of date (cc @Seth_h ) – they definitely support modern versions of KiCad.

The simple solution to this problem is to use a separate monitor for the ERC dialog.
Which is what I do.

And in the long run neck dysfunction? Cross the river for water :slight_smile:

Hmmm I know what causes it, I just wonder how windows avoids it hmmph

OK, how about shrinking the layout window so it fits side-by-side with the ERC dialog box?

This commit might be interesting:

You may also try it out in the next nightly build (8.99).
It will later be cherry-picked back to the stable branch and then be available in the testing builds, that will eventually become 8.0.3.

I did that for a long time – but the main thing with this topic is: Why did the KiCad team add/accepted that this doesn’t work anymore when it worked perfect in KiCad 6x (also with the currently newest MacOS!)?

Thanks, hmk, for the hackfix link. I tried to read and understand it but that’s not my level :slight_smile: But what you say here what they mention is it will be “fixed”/included in the next nightly build and later eventually in test builds and then finally eventually in the 8.0.3 “stable” build? If so that’s a very good starting point, not so long time, probably, compared to how long this bug has been freely living its life.

The new code in the master branch - including all the latest “commits” to that branch - is built every night into new binaries that you can download, install and run on your computer for testing.
The commit above will automatically be included in the next nightly build. You identify the nightly build binaries of the master branch code by the version number 8.99. The full version information usually also displays a date when it was built, plus a hexadecimal (consisting of numbers 0…9 and letters a…f) identification of the latest commit included in that build.
You can find the nightly builds by going to the KiCad download page, choosing your operating system and scrolling down to the bottom of the page.

The “stable branch” of the code is what contains bugfixes for the current stable (8.0 at the moment of writing) release version. It is built into binaries every night too, those are called “testing build” and are found on the download page too, just above the nightly build.

“Cherry picking” means that certain commits from the master branch - those that are bugfixes that apply to both the development master branch and the stable version - are copied or adapted over from the master branch (8.99) to the stable branch (8.0)
This particular commit has not yet been cherry picked, but often it happens within a week or two from the commit appearing in master.

(I have tried to write this explicitly enough for users without prior experience of the development process to at least get a basic understanding.)

2 Likes

Thanks again, hmk, yea I know where the download locations are and I always download the latest in all places as soon as they are released. Currently I run 5 versions of KiCad, side by side in OS Sonoma 14.4.1. Or Ventura 13.6.6.

Dock
dock

Wow – Development of KiCad for MAC OS is NOT on the way out!

Because we don’t know what changed. As far as I can tell, it might have even been wxWidgets that changed something.

It requires someone spending many UNPAID hours to identify what changed and then figure out how to fix it.
If it’s not a interesting problem or a problem that affects a developer, it’s not going to be looked at very fast. So we didn’t deny the problem existed, just nobody had the time to look at it.

I spent 4 hours looking at it last night,I only came up with a hackfix because I wasn’t going to spend more unpaid hours staring at a problem for a platform I don’t really use. That’s the most you’ll get out of me.

1 Like

Unpaid is of course not great. We all have to eat! Right now it seems the latest Nightly build it’s fixed. If it was you doing this I want to thank you very much, if it was someone else I thank that person as well! Where is the place to make you more inspired/where to make the wanted payment/agreement?