Does Kicad supply font characters such as Ω and µ.?

Bonjour tout le monde.
je ne sais pas si je suis au bon endroit pour poser mes questions?

1. Est ce qu’il existe dans KiCad un raccourci pour insérer les caractères µ et Ω dans les valeurs composants?

2. Comment changer l’origine des feuilles, positionner X0,00, Y0,00 en bas à gauche?

Merci à vous.
Cordialement.

Hello everybody.
I don’t know if I’m in the right place to ask my questions?

1. Is there a shortcut in KiCad to insert the characters µ and Ω in the component values?

2. How to change the origin of the leaves, position X0.00, Y0.00 at the bottom left?

Thank you.
Sincerely.

1. It’s no different from how you type those characters to other applications, it depends on what tools your operating system gives you. It could be done with certain compose key sequences, for example on my Linux desktop I type μ by Compose, m, u. It could be done with a pop-up application that presents a grid of characters where clicking on a character inserts it into the input buffer. It could be done by copy and paste of such characters from another window. So this is not a feature that KiCad needs to provide.

OK thank you I thought there was a keyboard shortcut to do this directly
@++

It’s not just for Greek letters like µ or Ω but accented letters like the è in caractères, which for me I entered as Compose, `, e. You use whatever your operating system provides for entering such characters.

1 Like

Hi @Maverick17

I edited your Title to reflect your question. This will help others searching the forum for answers to this question.

@retiredfeline

The OS I use offers a two click keyboard change to make symbols such as Ω, µ, ©, °, K, ĸ, ⅞, ™ very easy.

When I say OS, in the case of Linux, it also depends on the desktop. I use the Compose key method as it handles the vast majority of my needs like typing accented characters in other languages, the ° symbol for temperatures and GPS coordinates to Maps, and fractions like ⅔ which are typed as Compose, 2, 3. For less common characters I can bring up kcharselect which gives access to the whole Unicode shebang (is there a hebang? :crazy_face:). For emojis, I can bring up the emoji selector popup. :+1: So there are plenty of existing solutions in this space.

Incidentally font is not needed in the title, as characters have an independent existence to their graphical depiction.

You also robbed OP of their second question in your title.

Sometimes it is necessary to cater for the unwashed?

That’s a problem. Any suggestions?

Copy the original post to a new topic, and suppress the first question in that, don’t know if this is possible. Or tell them to repost and not put too many questions in one topic. :wink:

A post was split to a new topic: How to change the Origin

Yep!

Press the “select” button to select one or a number of individual posts; not the “select + below” button.

For a bit of fun for those on Linux, try the sequence Compose LLAP. You should get :vulcan_salute:.

I always forget the character combinations, but in Linux Gnome, there is the Characters application that can be easily opened and searched for characters (it remembers the latest used ones). In Windows, there is a similar application, Character Map.

Strangely, the ohm sign has its own character in Unicode, U+2126, but this doesn’t work well in different applications such as KiCAD. As mentioned above, it is better to use the Greek letter Ω, which is U+03A9.

I use KCharSelect on Linux and used the Character accessory on Windows for all special characters. Never bothered to learn the key combinations.

Note that KiCad provides no preview of text in the font you’ve selected (be it the KiCad font or a TTF one if using v7), so you only see if the font supports a given character when you validate the text. A bit tedious for some special characters that are not ultra-common. A text preview with the selected font would be an appreciated addition. I don’t know if it’s planned for v8, or planned at all.

Just for completeness: On Win10+ the emoji picker [win] + [.] has a special char tab.
grafik

4 Likes

Personally I would try to avoid using these sort of suffixes. Whilst they are generally ok in KiCad, any external scripts may not be so tolerant. Some time back I had a BOM which included resistors with Ω symbols - this caused major confusion and corruption of a Python script that processed it.

1 Like

I have seen one schematic, drawn and edited by a team, that had µ,u and mm in it.

I wonder how you have seen our design, it’s confidential.

4 Likes

yup, unfortunately ASCII-7 still rules… and even a kicad (v5.1) will mangle these characters in say Excel

My attitude is that one should boycott (or girlcott :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:) applications that don’t support Unicode in this day and age, but I know this is not always feasible.

5 Likes