Do you still use legacy canvass?

If so, what features do you use it for? Just wondering. For me switch to the GAL mode was painful, but I finally crossed to the dark side. However I still switch back quite a bit. For me primarily it is usually has to do with group selection. Legacy canvass has a nice selection filter that allows you to choose objects to be selected. Unfortunately that is not replicated in the other modes.

Yes. I use. Some useful options are available only within Legacy.

Terse. I can be terse…Once in flight school, I was laconic.

The list is very long. It can be shorten to “All features which have not been migrated yet to OpenGL/Cairo”.

1 Like

I only use it for the spread components option when importing a net list for the first time. I’m using 4.0.7 so I’m missing out on that feature in opengl.

In a daily build (and forthcoming 5.0): Select a block. Context menu->Select…->Filter Selection. (Edit: replying to the original post.)

1 Like

“Legacy” is the only way to make the pads disappear - at least that is true in my Nightly version circa Feb 2017. With GAL canvas, even when I un-check “Pads Front” and “Pads Back” in the “Render” menu, the pads are still displayed.

Dale

This, too, seems to work well with a recent daily build. So, more good news for the upcoming 5.0…

1 Like

This is fixed now :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks to whoever squashed that bug.

Other than the few situations mentioned in this thread, I have used GAL almost exclusively for a year or so.

Dale

Examples? (I only count stuff that is not in nightly / not dropped because of new workflow.)

update pcb from schematic in nightly does this automaticly. (since two years.)

Is the “Break Track” capability on your list? Or has it recently been added to OpenGL? See Moving parts in schematic

Dale

We had this already:

Did you come across a usecase different than what you described back then? (Or did your tests reveal you can not do something you want to do.)
I am really curios about this. (If we really find a feature missing in nightly open gl then we might want to talk to the developers before legacy is dropped for good.)

Thanks! That’s good to know, but men it was hidden well. Three steps just to get to the menu.

1 Like

I can’t cite examples off the top of my head but I’ll estimate there are a few dozen similar cases where the ergonomics of the KiCAD user interface can be improved. I think most of us eventually learn to live with them. And there are probably folks who believe these annoying quirks are actually charming idiosyncracies.

Dale

1 Like

I could not figure out how to fill/refill zones in the new canvas. Had to switch back to legacy to do that. But I really like the OpenGL canvas.

Shortcut B for zone refill. (Shortcut ? for a list of available shortcuts.)

If I’m not mistaken, it is the same one in GAL canvass and legacy canvass

My old notebook doesn’t support to switch to GAL canvas: OpenGL 2.1 or higher is required!
My processor (Core 2 Duo 1.6MHz) only allows to run OpenGL 1.4. So, I’m tied to legacy canvas…
I’m running KiCAD Version: 4.0.7 on Arch Linux, kernel 4.14.6, wxWidgets: Version 3.0.3, and all up-to-date libraries.
:frowning: I have to buy new hardware, but…

You could try cairo.