DFR0768 MP3 PLAYER footprint

I’m a bit new to kicad so I apologize if the question is a bit stupid and out of place…
Does anyone know a footprint ans symbol for the DFPlayer Pro module DFR0768?
I’m still not at the stage where I know how to make these myself.
Attached Image.

I found this link but when I try to load the download directory/file I can’t find any of the files available to load

It is a zip file that contains .kicad_mod and .kicad_sym files. You have to install them into your personal libraries. See How to get a downloaded symbol, footprint or full library into KiCad version 5? which I think is still good for v6 even though it’s written for v5. The files seem to be made for v6.

The symbol is erroneous. Pins are in wrong way (they should be mirrored around y axis).

I have version 5. Could this be why I can’t find the files in the folder I downloaded them to in order to load them?

You can’t use those files in KiCad v5, whether visible or not. At least not the symbol file – you can try to import the footprint file if you find it with the software. The file is dated

(footprint "DFR0768" (version 20211014) (generator pcbnew)

and you can try change the date to an arbitrary earlier if it’s too new for the KiCad version. But the result isn’t guaranteed. I’m yet to test it with v6.

The footprint is also very simple.

These would be good for practicing drawing your own symbols and footprints. After doing it a couple of times these would take less time than writing a question here and searching for ready made items.

1 Like

OK. Thank you very much for the investment! you’re really good!
I assume there is a link available on the website for instructions for creating a footprint as well as a symbol. Could you please attach a good one here?

And one last question: I did not find a normal data sheet for this component (a bit strange to me because it seems something quite serious). Is there any possibility in the world to design a footprint without a detailed data sheet detailing the pin locations, distances, hole size, etc.?

Such modules nearly always have their pins on a 2.54mm grid to make them compatible with single row headers, breadboards and matrix boards for easy prototyping.

So if you have such a module, first try if it fits on a breadboard or into the holes of a piece of matrix PCB. If it fits then creating the footprint is just a matter of placing pads on that grid and adding some graphics.

I’m not promoting my app (it’s here, if wanted). I was messing around while drinking Coffee and this is a perfect application need for my app so, I geeked.

I did not see dimensions beyond the two shown (used 23.0mm from the their posted PDF - the Horizontal dim for the scaling input)

Below image shows the saved data in px and Selected ‘mm’ units…
Top-Left corner of Layout is 0,0

If as mentioned the module has pins on a 2.54 mm pitch, then you can use the S-DIP footprint wizard to generate a footprint for it. One drawback is that wizard doesn’t generate asymmetrical courtyards but you can edit the foorptint after generation.

I can affirm it’s on a 0.1 inch grid, the pitch being the standard 0.1 and center-to-center width between the columns 0.8 inch.

At least if the SnapEDA footprint is correct. It’s made by some 3rd party, not by SnapEDA.

Can you confirm if what I did here is correct?
Mainly regarding the definition of entrances/exits, Bidirectional…

Power output is not like you think, a line to the speaker or earphone. It’s for real power lines, like from a battery or power supply. Make them Passive. Key and Play are probably Passive too, as they go to switches. They don’t reverse direction like microcontroller pins.

There should be a FAQ on the site explaining the types of pins for ERC.

1 Like

Thanks for the valuable comments!
I found this explanation:

But can you clarify for me the difference between the input pin and the passive pin?
In the case of connecting to a button (and resistor) as in my example with the “KEY” pin, it is also used as an input pin to read voltage according to what I understand, so what is the difference?
Is this input only when logical 1/0s are entered?

An Input pin needs an Output pin on the same net or it will trigger an ERC Input not driven error. Passive doesn’t care.

Example of Input pin: inputs of logic gates. Example of Passive pin: a resistor pin.

Those type names have particular meanings.

2 Likes

Thank you. I got wise!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.