Cross contact wires in Schematic

Greetings from a new member to KiCad forums and KiCad itself.

I am drawing a symmetric circuit and I need to cross wires as mentioned in this thread: No contact crossing wires

Is there an official way in KiCad 4.0 that I am not aware of ?

Regards.

If you want to cross-wires (no join), the convention is to simply do that.

Where you can help avoid later poor-reproduction confusion, is to also apply the rule that non-crossing(joined) wire never form a ‘+’ , but instead join as 2 ‘T’, (all with tiedots)

Of course, these days analog scanners / copiers / faxes and folded printed copies of SCH, are not common,
but such convention can still make fast-visual-scan of a drawing easier.

1 Like

So I will assume that there is no official method. Thanks for clarifying.

How do I make a ‘T’ as you mentioned in KiCad ?

ah I see now. So this is the ‘T’ after all.

Thanks Andy. I will get used to the convention

Every place I have worked with drawing standards, forbade joining crossing wires. It is a convention in the industry

It is a convention in the industry, one that is adopted by some companies and some individuals, but it is far from being a standard convention. Just looking at some reference designs from TI shows both conventions being used depending on the engineer that drew the schematic. Same goes for reference designs from Maxim. In both cases the convention of no connected ‘+’ wires is not enforced by the company but rather a personal preference of individual engineers.

With a schematic capture tool that properly enforces the use of junction/connection dots it becomes a non issue in any case. Unfortunately KiCad does not enforce the use of junction dots.

Edit: In my opinion, many schematics that avoid connected crossing wires look cluttered and sometimes confusing.

1 Like