Creating new library symbol by copying and editing pin order (7.0.11)

Hi

I wanted to start a new project and installed 7.0.11 (in addition to old 6 install). I wanted to start by creating new symbols for those parts which are not in the default library and started with some transistors with TO-92 packages.

I copied an existing transistor symbol (with CBE pin order) into a new library for my project, entered symbol properties, renamed the new symbol, updated the title. Then I wanted to switch pin order to ECB, and went into display pin table menu and changed numbers. That all went very well, but I noticed that the next transistor I copied had ECB pin order, when I was pretty sure it should be CBE again.

To me, it looked like I changed all existing library devices using the TO-92 package from CBE to ECB, i.e. not only for the new symbol I had created but for every part that uses the same package.

That was not what I wanted to do. Did I just change the connectivity of every single device pointing to footprint Package_TO_SOT_THT:TO-92_Inline ?

I hope this does not lead to me practising my restore-from-backup scheme, and would appreciate any help

Best Regards

Jens

No, you’re searching for ghosts, that does not happen.

By default, symbols like Q_NPN_CBE do not have a footprint attached. The footprint is also just a text string inside the symbol, and there are no complex links throughout the libraries.

It is more likely you make some little mistake you overlooked. Maybe you forgot to save your modifications, or you saved it to another place you thought you saved it and then loaded some other symbol. Also note that KiCad does not search for libraries. You have to add your library to the library table explicitly. But then, you probably already did this, or you would not have been able to save your symbol in it.

I’m glad it should not happen.

The pin order, how am I supposed to change it? That’s what I do not know how to do.

Yes, I’m reading the FAQ :slight_smile:

Best Regards

Jens

One method is to open the symbol in the symbol editor, hover over a pin and press e to edit it’s properties. Another method is to: Symbol Editor / Edit / Pin Table. This gives an overview of all symbols in an editable spreadsheet format. Also note you can right click on the first “header row” to hide columns, or make additional columns visible.

You do know that there are transistor symbols for all 6 pin orders for both NPN and PNP? Perhaps it’s because you looked under Transistor_BJT. But look under Device and you will find all the Qs there. Here’s the ECB variant.

No, I did not. Thank you. It’s the simple things, sometimes.

Best Regards

Jens

Yes. It’s working for me, now, and with the very good tip that all pin order variants are available already, I think I’ll be able to proceed.

Thanks very much for all the help

Best Regards

Jens