"Create Polygon from Selection" Not Behaving As Expected

I’m trying to create a fancy combo footprint for UQFN and VSSOP (hedging against component availability) by importing a DXF I’ve created in Fusion 360. The DXF appears to import correctly but when I trying to select a group of lines that make a pad and “Create Polygon from Selection” it creates a very weird and incorrect polygon.

Any thoughts on if this is a bug? The lines appear to have imported as lines and arcs so I’m not sure what is causing the issue. I’ve attached a copy of the DXF, the footprint file, and a GIF showing the issue.

Thanks! (I really appreciate the ability to create footprints this way, BTW)

Combo UQFN VSSOP Footprint.dxf (13.4 KB) UQFN_VSSOP_Combo.kicad_mod (27.6 KB)

Application: KiCad Footprint Editor (64-bit)

Version: (6.0.0-rc1-29-g9238b27f63), release build

Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.1.5
libcurl/7.78.0-DEV Schannel zlib/1.2.11

Platform: Windows 10 (build 19043), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW

Build Info:
Date: Nov 17 2021 00:01:09
wxWidgets: 3.1.5 (wchar_t,wx containers)
Boost: 1.76.0
OCC: 7.5.0
Curl: 7.78.0-DEV
ngspice: 35
Compiler: Visual C++ 1929 without C++ ABI

Build settings:
KICAD_USE_OCC=ON
KICAD_SPICE=ON

There are actually 2 possible bugs:

1. import dxf seems to be correct but there could be an error at the last precision digit of arcs. This leads to an imported polyline which seems to be closed, but in fact endpoint of arc and startpoint of next linesegment are not equal (but different with one single digit).
    This bug was corrected 2…3 days ago, new nightly software-versions are corrected.
  2. the convert-tool itself also has an bug. The developers are also working on this, as far as I know there was a bugfix commited yesterday/last night. Please try again with the current or the next upcoming nightly and look if the problem is solved.

for more information: gitlab-issues #9827 and #9843

next message:

• the import-dxf-problem is better, but not fully resolved.
    if you need an intermediate solution: with the move-tool select every imported arc-segment and utilize the snap-feature: let all arc-segment-start/endpoints snap to the corresponding endpoint of the next line-segments. This ensures that the lines+arcs form a closed polygon.

Thank you for the quick response and suggested work around. I’m glad this is an issue the developers are already aware of. I ended up using FreeCAD with the KiCad stepup to import the DXF and convert it to a footprint.

update:
The current nightly has all the problems fixed, importing dxf and then converting the lines+arcs to a polygon works.
The footprint from the thread-start yields correct polygones.

The current nightly works great! Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.