Colored STEP as a single part - how to create?

Hi,

After searching trough the forum, I still can not found an answer for question in %subj%.
If I miss something, do not read the text below, and simply show me where the answer is, please.
(answer at the topic StepUp error “not fused (‘union’) in single part …” is not subject to me, my part contains only valid solids - checked up by OpenSCAD_WB).

So, while exporting STEP from FreeCAD (0.16 build 6712), it can be done or through Part_WB, or common Export.
If exported using Part_WB, STEP is correct, but contains no materials and colors.
If export is done through Export “STEP with colors”, it is multi-part. If part is united, it, of course, is single-part, but it lost the color and materials assigned to each body.

But. While importing PCB to FreeCAD with (wonderful!) KiCAD StepUp I found some parts as STEP and colored at the same time. Though, it is possible. I knew, there are some APs of STEP. But how to access them?

May be there are another way to combine parts without loosing material and color for each body?

Yours,
Eugenijus

P.S. BTW, while .wrl cannot be converted to solid by FreeCAD, it can be done in other way. If KiCAD library contains .wings file for it, you can export part from Wings3D to Collada (.dae) and import to FreeCAD as mesh. The resting is simple, [Part_WB -> Create shape from mesh -> Convert to solid -> Refine shape].
NOTE: while exporting .dae, scale your model to 0.254 in dialog opened, as common inch to mm factor.

1 Like

What freecad version are you using? For me if i use the union operator of the part workbench it keeps the colors (it does change them from being body colors to face colors)

The stepup workbench also provides a union button. And if you export with it it creates a correctly scaled and colored wrl file (for use in kicad or in a more powerful renderer like blender) in addition to a colored step file.

3 Likes

Thank you a lot, Rene!

While switching into 0.16 just before a week, I missed what union is new.
You are right, it works… partially.

Look: color of rigel is expanded to connected body:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1EeuLVqyJGxbKXLnsoL5RsMjfDgBqyIQ5

But in general, it works.

Thank you once more,
Eugenijus
[just switched from Eagle to KiCAD]

Please have a look at kicad StepUp cheat sheet for some info

https://github.com/easyw/kicadStepUpMod/raw/master/demo/kicadStepUp-cheat-sheet.pdf

And some tutos

1 Like

In freecad 0.16 i had a similar bug under fedora but not when i used windows.
0.17 works well under fedora as well.

1 Like

mine is Win 7 x64.
But it is easy to cheat, you see.

Thank you!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.