Cheatsheet for KiCad

In 5.99 and beyond it’s even more important to use the internal Update mechanism. Features have been added which just don’t work with an external netlist. The external netlist file is nowadays meant only for communication with external 3rd party programs.

1 Like

Thanks, I will try if I ever get to that point. I’m attempting my first schematic entry of a board I just prototyped in wire-wrap. These are old style 14 and 16 pin DIP ICs, 1/8w resistors, etc. I’m having to create my own symbol for an XR2206 (made one aborted attempted so far). The custom symbol file wasn’t being saved in my personal library I created for some reason, wouldn’t let me copy and paste it.

But I’ll eventually get there.

Wow, your talking version 5.99. I downloaded what appeared to be the latest version for Windows 10 64-bit but it is only 5.1.6-1. What am I missing here?

5.1.x is stable. 5.99 is wannabe 6, for testing.

Sorry, it’s the development version, “nightly builds”, where new features are introduced. It’s unstable and buggy, not yet recommended for “real work”. But the feature freeze (i.e. no new major features anymore, only small changes and bugfixes) is coming soon and we are waiting it to stabilize and hopefully maybe early next year released as 6.0.

Now I get it. I had read on the KiCAD website that development versions were available. Thanks for clarifying anything beyond 5.1.x is unstable, not ready for prime-time.

I don’t want “buggy” releases as a new-comer, just learning the latest, greatest PCB software.

1 Like

sweet cheat sheet … thank you kindly for sharing )

A post was split to a new topic: Any new cheat sheets?

A post was merged into an existing topic: Any new cheat sheets?