Centralized repo for Spice libraries

Hello,

I made a organization on github and created a repo to store Spice models, right now there are 8004.

Please see the repo for more info: https://github.com/kicad-spice-library/KiCad-Spice-Library

I would like to add other people form the forum as members, if you wish send me your github name and i would do it

The idea cames from an old discussion and from a recent one

I hope you will find it useful :smiley:

1 Like

Congratulation you just broken a number of license agreements.

Example from the analog devices licence in your repo:

The licensee may not sell, load, rent, lease, or license the macro-models, in whole, in part, or in modified form, to anyone outside the licenseeā€™s company. The licensee may modify these macro-models to suit his specific applications, and the licensee may make copies of this diskette or macromodels for use within his company only.

Man must these be old to still reference diskettes. Leaves me to wonder if any of the models come even close to modeling the behavior of parts produced with modern manufacturing technologies.

You made this even worse by setting the license of the repo as gpl. Just to make it clear: only the copyright owner can change a licence.

I didnā€™t checked all the 1803 files, but you are right I removed them and updated the license to be more clear that it refers to the script folder

From another file in that collection:

*/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
* Legal Notice: This material is intended for free software support.
* The file may be copied, and distributed; however, reselling the 
*  material is illegal

https://github.com/kicad-spice-library/KiCad-Spice-Library/blob/master/Models/Operational%20Amplifier/Lm358.mod

I am just beginning with Spice simulation in KiCad and it would be nice to have a bunch of components completely prepared and integrated into KiCad.

A few days ago I did the Sallen_Key demo, and it mostly worked, but I do not have an AD8051. I am also mainly interested in simple and classic parts such as the LM358.
With an LM358 I will also be able to verify phase shifts on my Rigol DS1052, while with the AD8051 (Even if I had it) itā€™s 110MHz bandwith is more of a nuisance than a gain for educational purposes.

So I got a model for the lm358.lib (2.2 KB) from digikey ad it has no licensing info in it whatsoever.

And then of course it did not work. It turned out that all the pins are in the wrong place. At the moment my temprary fix is:
(Note that the feedback is to the non-inverting input now) I know this is redicilous, and probably easy to fix if you know how. Well, I started the NGspice manual, and itā€™s probably in there somewhere on one of those 630 pages, and I will find it (But probably not in that document, it is not written for beginners).

For people beginning with spice experiments in KiCad it would be really nice to have a small library of components that work out of the box. Right now my attention is getting fragmented into such little pieces that itā€™s hard to get anything started with ngSpice in KiCad, and this in turn makes it hard for me to keep motivated.

I do not see why a huge collection of random spice models is usefull. When I start designing some gadget I want to release as an open source gadged (for example an simple electronic load is a popular example) then it would be nice to have accompanying working spice models in it. For more advanced projects I may want low offset opamps or whatever, and selectrion of the opamp I want to use will be partly based on availability of compatible spice models. I may even mail some manufacturers that I wonā€™t use their opamps in my projects because of incompatible licences. That legal mumbo jumbo is a real nuiscance.

@paulvdh I am not selling anything :sweat_smile: that license is ok

I am just beginning with Spice simulation in KiCad and it would be nice to have a bunch of components completely prepared and integrated into KiCad.

Agree, I asked this in one of the discussion linked in the first post but unfortunately it is not planned for now

I may even mail some manufacturers that I wonā€™t use their opamps in my projects because of incompatible licences

unfortunately, if by ā€œprojectsā€ you donā€™t mean a product with a few hundreds of thousand of part, i donā€™t think they will be very interested

Whatā€™s keeping you from picking this up?
Hand picking a (few) handfulls of spice models and attaching them to KiCad symbols and copying them in a separate lib seems like doable for a single person.
Then anyone can clone your lib from github and add it in KiCad.
Such a collection is more valuable than 10000 random spice libs.
At the moment there are several hundred opamps in the default KiCad libraries. Do any of them contain a spice model? (If so, a simple text file with a list would be nice to have).

I just noticed that the ā€œVSOURCEā€ voltage source from the Sallen_Key is also nowhere else in KiCadā€™s libs, and quite different from the VSOURCE in the very small ā€œpspiceā€ lib in Eeschema. Fixing those things should be relatively easy, but to be honest, I have no intention at the moment of involving myself with KiCadā€™s library management.

I have just started working on updating ā€œGetting Started in KiCadā€, wich is long overdue and hope to make something decent out of it in a few months time. Itā€™s already stretching it thin for me, because I have to learn the basics of git and asciidoc to be able to work properly with that document.

Everything Spice related is already a sidetrack for me at the moment. I believe that with answering questions here and now working on ā€œGetting Startedā€ Iā€™m already above average in contributing.