Canvas Open GL vs Default

So in PCBNew, there are three different viewers. However, they seem to be more than just viewing modes.

Different commands and options are available using OpenGL than default.

For example, when clicking view paste layer on Default, the view does not change(except for paste layer object added in PCBnew, but not paste on footprints). But Paste layer shows up and toggles properly when viewing under openGL.

I am also generally frustrated by commands or modes only being available by icon button press. All commands/modes/options should be available by either the context menus or file/edit/view/place/route/etc.

Does anybody have a list of commands that are only available in OpenGL vs Default? I am finding it necessary to switch between them often to use the tool properly.

First, try the hotkey ā€˜?ā€™. It will show the rest of the hotkeys. A productive kicad user will use hotkeys and probably never use the toolbars buttons. Its faster than right click context menus imo.

About opengl and defaultā€¦ the default canvas is already called legacy in the nighties, its not developed anymore and all efforts are put towards the opengl canvas. The plan is to opengl to support all the features of legacy and more, so I can only suggest to bare with its limitations for a while. I personally only use opengl now.

2 Likes

Hi marcos, I wish I was able to do likewise as I find it very difficult remembering what view I have to be in to perform particular operations. But I use a lot of filled zones and in the stable release (4.0.7) these operations can only be performed in default view. Are you using stable or nightly builds? Having only just got started, Iā€™ve stuck to the stable.

What operations on zones can only be performed in default? I can do everything i want with zones in open gl.
Maybe you are missing something. (Or i donā€™t know about a feature to miss.)

Oh! I need an eye-test. I couldnā€™t see the hatched lines so assumed it still didnā€™t work. In my defence the outlines are quite hard to spot using a 13" 4K display on a laptop!

On OS X, the ā€œcontrol-click to right-clickā€ convention is only supported on the default canvas, and not on OpenGL. Also, the scroll bars disappear in OpenGL mode. So, OpenGL mode requires an external mouse, while the default canvas can at least be used with the trackpad, even if itā€™s a little awkward.

Also, with the grid turned on, itā€™s very difficult to see the ratsnest in OpenGL mode, because the grid lines and ratsnest lines look the same. I much prefer how the default canvas does it, using dots for the grid instead of actual lines. Itā€™s much more unobtrusive.

So personally, I only use the OpenGL canvas for push-shove routing, and I use the default canvas for everything else.

Here we agree. I really liked it when the nightly used dots for the grid in open gl. (Not sure how it is now.) But some might prefer lines so in my opinion this should be an option.

Isnā€™t right click emulated with two finger click on the track pad? (Why the ā– ā– ā– ā–  are there no buttons on a mac? Is it cheaper or do some people think buttons are ugly?)

Using any CAD software without a mouse is an interesting approach. I could see it for only viewing the result but not for working on the board. (Not precise enough.)

But again maybe having an alternative way of scrolling might be a good addition.

In the meantime there are options to emulate middle click: (Not sure if it can be used to move around in open gl.)

1 Like

Yes, thanks! I knew that at one time, but Iā€™d completely forgotten about it. All native Mac software recognizes control-click as a right click, though.

Apparently Apple thinks that two buttons would be confusing. In any case, itā€™s been that way since 1984.

I started out using the trackpad as I was first learning KiCad, and I was frustrated by the fact that it does not support the standard gestures (two fingers to scroll, and pinch to zoom). However, I got pretty far with it, and it was only when I tried using the push-shove router that I realized that I had to have an external mouse. But yes, now that Iā€™m using it, the external mouse is easier and more natural.

Thanks. Good to know.

Thatā€™s a nightly kicad-r8482.8c7175b00-x86_64 from 2017-Sept-13:

PS: and sometime in the last couple months some icons got changedā€¦ looks cute now & I guess they are svg or similar - look very clean.

3 Likes

I have good news regarding mac os problems.
It seems there is a patch that corrects the problems with missing scroll bars:
https://lists.launchpad.net/kicad-developers/msg30717.html

There is also a patch that will allow panning with left and right mouse buttons: (it has been merged as far as i can tell. But only for gerbview at the moment because there are conflicts with other commands in pcb_new)
https://lists.launchpad.net/kicad-developers/msg30603.html

And some problems with zooming on mac are also fixed with this patch
https://lists.launchpad.net/kicad-developers/msg30672.html

2 Likes

I wasnā€™t using Macs back in 1984, but my impression was that they didnā€™t originally have a Ctrl key.

It does.
Just go to Preferences and activate ā€œUse touchpad to panā€. You will have standard 2-finger scroll and pinch-to-zoom on touchpads or pan with touchpad on Magic Mouse.
But, you have to activate it individually for each application.

3 Likes

Thanks, that is awesome!

I tried it out and it seems to work great in eeschema and pcbnew. However, neither the library editor nor the footprint editor have a ā€œUse touchpad to panā€ in their preferences, so two fingers still zooms in those applications.

Library/Footprint editor use the setting of eeschema/pcbnew (they are no separate applications, but only special instances).
I just tried with my last nightly (I build myself but without modifications in that area) and it works also in library/footprint editor.

What version did you use? Might be a bugā€¦

Edit:
I forgotā€¦ you probably have to restart once so that library/footprint editor pickup the changeā€¦

3 Likes

Thanks! Restarting did the trick for me.

2 Likes

It would be good to get to the point where we can use just the one view. I have only done a few designs so far but I still find I am often swapping views, it happens so often I canā€™t even remember exactly why. One that comes to mind is the difference between the delete operations. In one view it deletes segments, in the other it deletes whole tracks, in fact from memory the whole delete operation is inconsistent. There are other things as well, but I find I simply swap views every time I try something and it doesnā€™t work. Also what happened to the good old ctrl C, ctrl X, ctrl Vā€¦why do we have different commands in each of the Kicad programs?

KiCad is fairly slow in development of the stable versions. Still, pretty neat idea for the developers to keep the different canvases to keep all functionality.

Is it really that hard to hit F9 or F11 to switch between the method you prefer best? And, are you certain that there is not a new feature in place that would help complete the task more effectively in the OGL canvas?

There are quite a bit of options to current KiCad users. Every EDA software has quirks that can frustrate users to the point of swearing out loud; KiCad certainly meets this goal.

Use Kicad a little longer, learn some of the more in-depth features, maybe download a nightly for a trial run and see if you still are still in a hurry to get to just using one view. And, as this is Open Source you are certainly also welcome to code whatever changes bother you the most.

1 Like

Hey, I am not complaining loudly, the boards I have done so far I am happy with and given the choice between quirky Kicad and laying up black tape on grid paper I will happily choose Kicad. As for programming my field is embedded control not graphical interfaces so I will defer to the experienced enthusiasts.

2 Likes

LOL!

One other quirk of KiCad is where it is in itā€™s current development cycle. Once this part of the road-map gets worked out and ends up in a stable release, I expect the quirkiness to drop several levels; just donā€™t plan on it happening tomorrow.

There are also the nightly builds that can be tried. Disclaimer that they may not be stable or compatible; but many times some builds are just fine for most users.

1 Like

Iā€™m running Nightly builds, so you may have different opinions if you are running a 4.0.x Release . . . .

One thing about KiCAD that I learned early in the experience, is that itā€™s best used with BOTH hands working simultaneously: one on the mouse, and the other on the keyboard. There is a large set of keyboard shortcuts (not just ā€œF9ā€ and ā€œF11ā€!) that make life much easier once you know them! And, there are some very fundamental Windows shortcuts (notably Ctrl-X, Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V) that DO NOT work in KiCAD. (And probably never will, for reasons I donā€™t really comprehend.) So every time I switch between Excel/WORD, LTSpice, LibreCAD, and KiCAD I need anywhere from half an hour to half a day to re-train myself regarding the keyboard shortcuts.

Since the announced trajectory will eventually eliminate the Legacy canvas, I have tried to work entirely in the OpenGL canvas. For the most part, Iā€™ve been successful. In the Nightly builds there are very few operations that canā€™t be done in OpenGL. In a few situations I have to use a slightly different command, but the result is the same.

Dale

2 Likes