Canvas Open GL vs Default

You’ve just reminded me what a nuisance it is that my Lenovo laptop needs a Fn key held down to action the function keys. And it’s in the lower left of the keyboard which makes F9 to F12 impossible to reach with one hand!

On my Lenovo laptop (a Thinkpad) one switch and lock the function keys in the alternate state by pressing Fn-ESC.

It did appear to me that migrating all the features to the new OGL canvas seemed a bit of a priority for the development path. Anyone that uses KiCad for a few months and reads this forum, and maybe downloads a few nightlies, can see the work the developers are doing.

From what I have seen, KiCad is already capable of creating board gerber files just as good as any other EDA software; while it might not be as simple a “user interface” to do such.

And, the current library situation sucks. But, with a big enough kludge hammer, it can be made to work.

If I had to pay for it, I might think to complain. But, I was always told not to look a gift-horse in the mouth.

1 Like

I agree with your evaluation. From my first experiences with KiCAD over two years ago, I have created boards (and documentation) that meet the commercial standards of any company I’ve ever designed for. It has taken longer than usual to become proficient with KiCAD, and I am still very much in “learning” status. (Could be something about old dogs and new tricks in that observation.)

“Evaluating alternatives” is a major part of any engineering task. As you said, KiCAD’s initial purchase price beats the pants off anybody.

Dale

Is there an equivalent to the default ‘D’ drag track in Open GL?

Also I just got reminded that the delete function is quite different in the two views, a little dangerous.