Can't create footprint in 5.1 or nightly

I created a local library and saved a footprint into it. I can see the folder and footprint in the directory, but KiCad is only seeing the library, not the footprint in the footprint manager. Tried it in Nightly and in v. 5.1 and have the same issue in both.

There is not much to respond to from your short description and screenshot, but I do see something strange.

Normally each footprint library has a little triangle on the left side, and when you click on it, you open a library as a “tree view” and then see the footprints which are in that library.

The library names without the triangles usually indicate empty libraries, so I’m not sure what you did there.

Maybe this helps:
https://forum.kicad.info/search?q=library%20management%20category%3A19

Yup, that’s what I am used to and what I was expecting. But nope, no triangle there despite being there in that folder when looking in the file manager.

Which detail of the problem is needed to respond better?

Full version info and operating system would be a start

1 Like

Tried both, the stable release and the nightly with the same behaviour:

Version: 5.1.10-88a1d61d58~88~ubuntu21.04.1, release build

Libraries:
        wxWidgets 3.0.5
        libcurl/7.74.0 OpenSSL/1.1.1j zlib/1.2.11 brotli/1.0.9 libidn2/2.3.0 libpsl/0.21.0 (+libidn2/2.3.0) libssh/0.9.5/openssl/zlib nghttp2/1.43.0 librtmp/2.3

Platform: Linux 5.11.16-051116-lowlatency x86_64, 64 bit, Little endian, wxGTK
        Build Info:
        wxWidgets: 3.0.5 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8) GTK+ 3.24
        Boost: 1.74.0
        OpenCASCADE Community Edition: 6.9.1
        Curl: 7.74.0
        Compiler: GCC 10.3.0 with C++ ABI 1014

Build settings:
        USE_WX_GRAPHICS_CONTEXT=OFF
        USE_WX_OVERLAY=ON
        KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
        KICAD_SCRIPTING_MODULES=ON
        KICAD_SCRIPTING_PYTHON3=ON
        KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON=ON
        KICAD_SCRIPTING_WXPYTHON_PHOENIX=ON
        KICAD_SCRIPTING_ACTION_MENU=ON
        BUILD_GITHUB_PLUGIN=ON
        KICAD_USE_OCE=ON
        KICAD_USE_OCC=OFF
        KICAD_SPICE=ON
Version: 5.99.0-unknown-64d35ecebc~127~ubuntu21.04.1, release build

Libraries:
    	wxWidgets 3.0.5
    	libcurl/7.74.0 OpenSSL/1.1.1j zlib/1.2.11 brotli/1.0.9 libidn2/2.3.0 libpsl/0.21.0 (+libidn2/2.3.0) libssh/0.9.5/openssl/zlib nghttp2/1.43.0 librtmp/2.3

Platform: Linux 5.11.16-051116-lowlatency x86_64, 64 bit, Little endian, wxGTK, KDE, x11

Build Info:
    	Date: Apr 29 2021 08:43:53
    	wxWidgets: 3.0.5 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8) GTK+ 3.24
    	Boost: 1.74.0
    	OCC: 7.5.1
    	Curl: 7.74.0
    	ngspice: 34
    	Compiler: GCC 10.3.0 with C++ ABI 1014

Build settings:
    	KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
    	KICAD_USE_OCC=ON
    	KICAD_SPICE=ON

OS is Kubuntu 21.04

A stupid question but gotta ask: have you tried turning it off and on again?
I.e. reload fp browser after creating the footprint in a new lib.

Yes, I did. Sadly it’s still not there.

I’m getting this now when opening the footprint manager:

The Libraries are set up correctly though:

${KIPRJMOD} contains the project path as expected.

But do the directories exist? Which is what the error message is about.

No it is not a release build yet. 5.1.9 is still the release version, I wonder if this is an experimental release candidate and has bugs

I have the same V5.1.10. It came a few days ago with regular system updates on my Linux Mint box, so I assumed it was released.

I also got the V5.1.9 update a few days before it was announced on KiCad.org Which is understandable. Once it’s officially released, it also must be available, or people will start asking questions.

Can you check if you have the same issue?
I have the release PPA and the nightly PPA installed, 5.1.10 came through the release PPA.

Open Project: Works.
Open Footprint Editor: Works.
Footprint Editor / File / New Library… (& add to Project’s library table). Works.

Then:
Right click on an existing Footprint (I used Nidec_Copal_SH-7010A) & Copy.
Then click on the newly created library (asdf_two_resistors) and paste.
Result:

Exit KiCad & restart. The new library persist to exist.
No trouble whatsoever.

I assume you made some mistake in adding footprints to your custom library.

Application: Eeschema
Version: 5.1.10-88a1d61d58~88~ubuntu20.04.1, release build
Libraries:
    wxWidgets 3.0.4
    libcurl/7.68.0 OpenSSL/1.1.1f zlib/1.2.11 brotli/1.0.7 libidn2/2.2.0 libpsl/0.21.0 (+libidn2/2.2.0) libssh/0.9.3/openssl/zlib nghttp2/1.40.0 librtmp/2.3
Platform: Linux 5.4.0-72-generic x86_64, 64 bit, Little endian, wxGTK
Build Info:
    wxWidgets: 3.0.4 (wchar_t,wx containers,compatible with 2.8) GTK+ 3.24
    Boost: 1.71.0
    OpenCASCADE Community Edition: 6.9.1
    Curl: 7.68.0
    Compiler: GCC 9.3.0 with C++ ABI 1013

Build settings:
    USE_WX_GRAPHICS_CONTEXT=OFF
    USE_WX_OVERLAY=ON
    KICAD_SCRIPTING=ON
    BUILD_GITHUB_PLUGIN=ON
    KICAD_USE_OCE=ON
    KICAD_USE_OCC=OFF
    KICAD_SPICE=ON

It’s there but not there.

Why do you post a screenshot of “Create New Project”?
There is no need to create a new project.

KiCad should supposedly be able to work with file names with spaces in them, but I stopped using a path or file name with spaces some 10+ years ago so I won’t know. I rather avoid such un-ambiguities. It also makes command line completion a lot easier from a terminal.

How do you put a new footprint in your custom library? For me the copy & paste with the right mouse button works. There are several ways to do this. Maybe you did it wrong, or encountered a bug with your method.

5.1.10 has been finalized and tagged, there just hasn’t been a blog post yet. We’re in the grey area where it is available on most systems but not yet all.

In this context “release build” is referring to how the executable was compiled (i.e. without debug symbols, and with various other options disabled that are useful to developers but not end-users), not whether or not the kicad version has been officially released. A “release build” is the opposite of a “debug build”

It’s not a screenshot. It’s an animated gif that walks through all the steps. You might want to check your browser if you just see a still image.

Every time I install a browser I completely disable animated gifs on purpose.
They are mostly used for annoying advertisements, and I rather do without.

So I downloaded your screen recording and watched it.
Your Copy & Paste is pretty similar to mine and I have no idea why it does not work for you.

Gif animations are annoying in this context. It’s not possible (easily) to handle them as videos, for example make them fullscreen and slow them down or pause them. It’s very difficult to watch a fast paced gif video while not being able to pause it in order to think or test the steps. It also repeats itself so that’s it’s disorienting when you don’t clearly see when it has ended and started again from the beginning.

Therefore, please, everyone, use real videos.

1 Like

Indeed.

Also, compression rate of animated GIF’s is quite horrible.

On my Linux box I’ve used VokoScreen a few times. It took me about 5 minutes to get to know it enough to make a screen recording and post it as an mpeg file.