Cannot delete BMP image on PCB or get it to render in 3D view

I am using the latest version of KiCad v7.0.10 on the latest version of Arch Linux v6.7.0-arch3-1.
Everything is up to date with the latest software versions.

On the PCB I have

• clicked to select the F.Silkscreen layer
  • clicked “Place” on the main menu then “add bitmap image”.

I then resized my bitmap image by clicking on the corner of it and dragging the corner to get the desired size, then I dragged the image to the correct placement on the board.

Since then I decided to delete the image. But although I can see it, I cannot find it on any of the layers and it is unselectable for deleting.

The image does not show on the 3D model when I press alt+3.

How can I delete this image so I can replace it with another, and make it viewable on the 3D model.

not able to select the image: PCB Layout Place Image behavior - v7.0.0 vs 7.0.10

2 Likes

Thank you. This appears to be a bug according to the post you have linked.
I will have a go at downgrading KiCAD when I get a moment.

Instead of downgrading you could also use one of the testing builds Piotr has mentioned in his last answer. Albeit I don’t know if testing builds are available (and where to download) for your OS.

1 Like

7.0.11 has already been tagged as rc1.2, so I expect what might be the last V7 version fairly soon.
Once V8 is released, V7 will freeze unless something very serious gets found

edit
rc2 became rc1.2

I needed to use graphics and downloaded a nightly version - works…
I use a Mac - this is the version I downloaded two days ago:

1 Like

For anyone on Arch Linux, the below steps to downgrade the KiCAD package should resolve the image deletion issue but not allow you to see it in 3D.

I have successfully used downgraded package version 7.0.9-2 to delete the image on the board with these steps

1. the Arch package cache, all packages, are here Index of /packages/k/kicad/**
    Choose the downgraded package you want.

REPLACE XXX below with the above link.

1. Download the package and the signature file as follows:

sudo wget -P /var/cache/pacman/pkg/ -c --retry-connrefused --tries=0 --timeout=5 XXX/kicad-7.0.9-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst.sig

sudo wget -P /var/cache/pacman/pkg/ -c --retry-connrefused --tries=0 --timeout=5 XXX/kicad-7.0.9-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst

1. Arch downgrade package command. This simply removes any newer package and installs the package specified

sudo pacman -U /var/cache/pacman/pkg/kicad-7.0.9-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst

1. Delete any conflicting files

“error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)
kicad: /usr/share/locale/pt_br/LC_MESSAGES/kicad.mo exists in filesystem”

sudo rm -rf /usr/share/locale/pt_br/LC_MESSAGES/kicad.mo

Use downgrade package command again.

sudo pacman -U /var/cache/pacman/pkg/kicad-7.0.9-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst

Now image deletion is possible.

After installing downgraded package 7.0.9-2 I can now delete the image but not see the image before I delete it in the 3D viewer using alt+3.

Are there any specific settings I have to change to be able to see this image which is on layer F.Silkscreen

Does the image have to be eg a particular colour, or inserted a specific way.

Your placed image is named “reference image” in the “Place” menu. Such a reference image is not supposed to shine up in 3D or any other output file.

If you want to include a graphic on the silkscreen (or any other layer) you should use File–>Import–>graphics. This accepts vector files (format dxf/svg).

3 Likes

Thank you. With both the latest KiCAD v7.0.10 and v7.0.9-2 I can’t see any menu item named
reference image” in the “Place” menu after

• inserting an image
  • or importing a SVG.

The good news is that by converting my bitmap image to SVG in Inkscape, I am then able to import the SVG to the silkscreen layer, see it there, move it around and if need be delete it, and see this in the 3D model.

Thanks a lot

It works okay in 7.0.11 rc1
(note: not all of my SVG’s are importable but, it’s not Kicad’s fault).

Try Plotting an SVG from Kicad then, try Importing it…

1 Like

Thanks BlackCoffee, I’ve got that.

Appreciate the help on here. It’s really helped me out.

Thanks all :pray: