Can we drop 'wrl' 3D models and keep only 'step' libraries, keeping artistic rendering?

Please note that if you really commit that, the pipeline to Blender will lead to not so beautiful results due to a lot more work and inferior data format. This is not encouraging Blenderheads, due to the fact that STEP does not deliver any triangle data nor carries any UV-data. My Kicad Browserviewer relies on VRML format. I put hold on the development until this will be hopefully rejected. Don´t kill VRML export. Pretty PLEASE! See what your missing in Realtime-3D in your browser. [Kicadviewer: Loads a bit slow the first time. Kicad-Webviewer Please be patient during first load (ca. 30-60 seconds black window)

Sorry, Forum does not allow me to post screenshots. See here: Github Readme with Screenshots.

Source files and Blendfile included! Change it to your likes, put your own PCB on the web.

Please consider that the suggestion is NOT to abandoning wrl format, but just avoid to double the library format.
The option to have realistic materials and exporting 3D to wrl with those attributes will be kept…

That was already pointed out at this thread here

And about a kicad 3d html viewer you can also consider this wordpress plugin

with a demo three.js webgl - loaders - kicad vrml loader

Thanks for the fast answer. “Without the feature to display enhanced material properties”. I see where the train goes. In that case you really could use such an inferior viewer like you recommended. No shadows, no ambient occlussion. Slow with more complex PCBs. No environment world texture. Yuck, no thanks. Did you even click on my link?

It seems you missed the content of the post.
Materials will be kept.

You link to the same thread where we already are and then you seem not to remember your own words. See your own fourth contribution further up. Oh, you wrote that WP plugin. I take back the “inferior” in that case :wink:

I already had contact with Discourse. See Blenderartists and Armory3D forum for example.

No, you don’t read… Kicad will keep wrl material when exporting, so you are missing completely the point.

Hehe. Just could not imagine that the information is kept despite removing the wrl libs. Then i still do not understand why you wrote “Without the feature to display enhanced material properties” further up? If any info is kept and the same wrl exported why all the fuss?

Hehe, you missed who created kicad 3d libs …
May be ‘he’ knows quite well wrl attributes :rofl:

Well i am new here. And you seem to ignore my questions, even if i have them repeated. Why is that?

Ok, you still seems are not able to read what I have written:

As now kicad handles STEP models without adding material properties…

Trying to read the thread again, I can see why there arises some confusion. Can you answer clearly: If the VRML models are removed from the library, will the result of the VRML export be kept intact, including all material properties?

1 Like

I just though the title was self explicating:

Can we drop ‘wrl’ 3D models and keep only ‘step’ libraries, keeping artistic rendering?

and later in the thread:

The suggestion is not in the direction to reduce the abilities of KiCad, but only to avoid to duplicate the 3D model libraries, just to add nice and useful material rendering properties…

without wrl 3d models in libs, but with the internal color to material association table, nothing will be missed, simply the libs will be only on STEP format.

So the answer is “yes in the future and not nowadays”?

1 Like

it could be an option for k v8; v7 is already on code freezing.

Hi @StrandedAlien

Discourse forum levels are not transferable between different forums.

Thanks for the info. Just like old trees. That´s one of a nice old tree in your avatar.

Thanks,
It’s a big, almost perfectly shaped, River Red Gum, in our back paddock.
Trunk diameter 4 meters, foliage span 41 meters, age about 600 years.
I’ve never climbed to the top to measure its height :grin:

There are a lot of very long nets between Gnd and leaves.

1 Like

@Seth_h
is there any news on that for kv8?