Can we drop 'wrl' 3D models and keep only 'step' libraries, keeping artistic rendering?

it could be an option for k v8; v7 is already on code freezing.

Hi @StrandedAlien

Discourse forum levels are not transferable between different forums.

Thanks for the info. Just like old trees. ThatĀ“s one of a nice old tree in your avatar.

Thanks,
Itā€™s a big, almost perfectly shaped, River Red Gum, in our back paddock.
Trunk diameter 4 meters, foliage span 41 meters, age about 600 years.
Iā€™ve never climbed to the top to measure its height :grin:

There are a lot of very long nets between Gnd and leaves.

1 Like

@Seth_h
is there any news on that for kv8?

Thanks for the reminder. Letā€™s see what our libraries team thinks.

Iā€™m personally using only STEP models when adding custom 3D models (and you almost never find wrl models from manufacturers anyway). I use export to STEP on a regular basis, so thatā€™s also all that I need.

The only thing that Iā€™m guessing - although I donā€™t have evidence as I donā€™t know the wrl format well enough - is that wrl models may be more efficient for 3D rendering in the 3D viewer compared to STEP models. But thatā€™s only a minor bonus if any. They also load up faster when first opening the 3D viewer and you have a very crowded board.

wrl models may be more efficient for 3D rendering in the 3D viewer compared to STEP models

Depends on how it was exported by the external tool. eg: FreeCAD StepUp plugin is possible (is it? or was it?) to control the detail, which leads to more or less triangles. On current GPUs this is not an issue, maybe for (very?) old or complex boards it is.