Bug with logo on drawing sheet when printing to pdf (disappearing and changing background of image)

Copied Version Info
Application: KiCad Schematic Editor (64-bit)

Version: (6.0.10), release build

Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.2.1
libcurl/7.86.0-DEV Schannel zlib/1.2.13

Platform: Windows 10 (build 19045), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW

Build Info:
Date: Dec 19 2022 21:23:04
wxWidgets: 3.2.1 (wchar_t,wx containers)
Boost: 1.80.0
OCC: 7.6.2
Curl: 7.86.0-DEV
ngspice: 38
Compiler: Visual C++ 1929 without C++ ABI

Build settings:
KICAD_USE_OCC=ON
KICAD_SPICE=ON

Bug - When I print pdf of schematic - our company logo disappears on the first page (cover page), then on second page (schematic start), the logo is there but inverted with black

Picture showing logo missing in pdf on page 1 (shows in the schematic file)

Picture of logo on second page now with a black background???

Logo in schematic file itself (not pdf)

I noticed that the first page was size B and second page was size A4… When I changed second page to size B too, the first page logo appeared, but also with the black background as shown in the second picture.

When I changed to both have A4, same thing, logo appears on both pages with black background.

After changing the pages to the same size, for both B and A4, I changed back where page 1 was size B and second is size A4… printed pdf and as it did with the first attempt - in pdf the first page is missing the logo with the second page having the logo with black background.

This happened on previous versions but its just been awhile since I got to this stage in a design/schematic.

THEN just to see what happened, I printed the layout page with title and border part - and logo prints out just fine on that one, without the black background…

Logo in layout pdf (what the logo should look like) - did this with A4 and B size sheet for layout sheet and same result.

What is your logo file format ? JPEG cannot support transparent backgrounds as PNG and TIFF are able to do. Make sure, background transparency is used in your logo file. Sometimes the transparency feature its lost while converting to other graphics file formats

Ah ok good point - unsure what the filetype is - will find out on Monday and shoot back here if I fix it by changing to PNG (if it is currently JPEG, which sounds like it is).

Sounds like the printing-issue #12461: Kicad 6.0.7 Windows bug in printing imported image in schematic (#12461) · Issues · KiCad / KiCad Source Code / kicad · GitLab

The symptoms are the same: picture is printed on different places, sometimes correct, sometimes completely outside of the page. seems also to depend on used printer (try different virtual-pdf-printer) and choosen schematic-page-size (probably not freely to choose for you).

workaround: use the plot-function instead of printing.

But note: the plot-function also has problems with transparency png-bitmaps (see for instance eeschema: Plot to PDF - handling PNGs with transparency (#5979) · Issues · KiCad / KiCad Source Code / kicad · GitLab)

There was a bugfix/commit on the v7-nightly version which has resolved the “false-positioned bitmap” problem for my OS-printer-driver combination.
It’s unlikely that it will be backported to v6.0.10, but it would be good to see some users test it with the v7 nightly (download a fresh new version).

Also participants of the old thread Printing Image in the schematic could try the new nightly and look for an improvement.

Yeah so it was a PNG - the original had a white background - I removed the background completely and still got a black background which filled in around the entire area of the bitmap. All PNG as well. Unless you’re saying the transparency thing is different than simply removing the background?

1 Like

Try the bitmap as jpg-format. I had no “black backgrounds”-issues with jpg. (most probably because standard jpg doesn’t support transparency)

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.