Bom csv output is wrong

no I discussed the OPs problem with CSVs. If you want to know why there is no XLSX output available, then that is a completely different question then the “problem” OP brought up. But anyway, I will try to answer your question: XLSX output is not there (yet) because nobody implemented it. maybe it wasn’t implemented because nobody until now had a problem using CSVs or for a different reason I don’t know. maybe there is already a bom export script (for schematics) out there which actually does XLSX output, I don’t know and honestly I don’t care enough to research that for you.

if nothing is available you are also free to add a feature request to the KiCad gitlab page. If it gets enough support it will be implemented eventually but keep in mind as a open source project with limited resources compared to most of other CAD projects a lot of prioritization based on the user feedback is happening.

Are you trolling now, or just being obstuse? :slight_smile:
I really don’t care about your bar codes, there is always something when trying to do stuff with ascii (The S-expressions seem to be quite nice though)

Another (similar) thing is the “net tie” “keyword”. How such a double word with a space became to mean something in KiCad is beyond me. But it’s all pissing in the wind, It was a bad decision long ago, and well have to live with it.

Tojan I’m not the only one who would like to get the following… Exel open file bom kicad and that’s it)) You don’t need anything else))) Any alternatives in the form of libreofis ubunta)) makes you suffer more than work

That is terribly shortsighted. First, KiCad is an Open Source program. Some of those Microsoft “formats” have been dumped into some standard, an the only reason that ever happened was because Open Source software was nicely documented and threatened to take over the world. Governments and such really like the Idea of open and documented standards. Even some form of PDF files has been “standardized” (but it stays a horrible format none the less, It was acceptable for it’s original goal, but it’s been abused in many ways as a defacto standard).

And apart from the Open Source thing, although Linux users is a relatively small number of desktop users (I heared about 2%), they all flock around KiCad, and not just because KiCad is a wonderful EDA suite, but also because there is hardly any alternative for EDA on Linux. I won’t be surprised if 20% or so of the KiCad developers are Linux users.

In any case, it is cad for designing electronics and not crutches for opening exel. And so it turns out to repair the soldering iron you need another soldering iron)

then should not any output from the program respect the locale? the strings in the program do. i understand some places use comma as a decimal seperator and period as a thousands seperator. but those are all managed by the locale settings and to out put a “comma seperated value” format should be in “commas”

as someone who tried to open the file in excel it did NOT ask me. nor can i find the option in the program.

Import or export text (.txt or .csv) files - Microsoft Support.

Maybe the solution to the particular issue (the pcb bom is crappy and you should use the schmetic bom maker) is to remove the pcb bom maker. (though honestly i don’t see why it should not be run through the locale converter. that also would solve this as well).

either way something is broken. does not work as described. does not create what it says it creates. THAT was my issue with it. not extracting the data i needed. i did that. it’s text, not hard. dozens of ways to post process text. but it should work as designed. it should do what it says it will do. and it does not. and it has not for years. THAT was why i made this post. especially after seeing a similar post with the same issue that has not been solved.

If I were mean, I would say just “File → Open”. But because I’m not, I say “I happen to have access to Office 365 Excel and it opens the ‘csv’ BOM created by KiCad’s PCB Editor correctly.”

eelik microsoft office 2016-2021 does not open normally. The question is why not add other output file formats as done in other cad

If OP wanted to complain that semicolons were used in a CSV file, yes pedantically it’s a misnomer but that ship has sailed and this is well known Comma-separated values - Wikipedia Lots of things in the world are misnamed. Coca Cola hasn’t used coca for a long time. Columbus did not reach India so American Indians are misnamed.

If the purported problem was Excel not opening it, then the problem cannot be replicated by others.

If the complaint was a BOM export function from the PCB editor that nobody uses then this will be fixed eventually.

So all in all a storm in a teacup.

3 Likes

Should the BOM generation option be removed from PCB side before the 7.0 release as it’s very confusing to get different result depending whether you use the same command from PCB or schema editor.

lamikr In this case, it is impossible to generate bom if only the project board is available without a scheme, and this is allowed when converting the board from other cad.There is a suggestion to leave this feature only in a separate standalone board module

Good point, I forgot that schematic and pcb editors are not using same shared/common for both input data for generating the bom.

Anyone notice this way up in this thread.

Seems it will arrive sometime in 7.99

craftyjon

1d

GitLab

Unify Pcbnew & Eeschema BOM generation (#5408) · Issues · KiCad / KiCad…

Description Spun out from the (lengthy) discussion in

We’re going to remove both of them and replace it with a better system that doesn’t require you to write Python to customize the CSV

Can I learn more about the new system? What algorithm will it work on?

It doesn’t exist yet.
Click on the link to Gitlab, read that, then the link to the linked discussion and there may be information.

Apparently it didn’t make it into 7 but now has an 8 milestone.

2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Need help for kicad_bom_sync

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.