Board set up, project is missing or read only. some settings will not be

KiCAD 6.0.9
Linux (NixOS)

I’m having the exact same problem as this user had

However I do have the access permissions and the file is in the project dir. I even tried the following:

1. deleting my_project.kicad_pcb
  2. open the PCB editor
  3. Agree to create the pcb file
  4. Open the Board Setup menu
  5. same warning message

This really feels like a bug to me, was it resolved in 7.x ?

Perhaps it is related to this bug, given that NixOS sym/hardlinks a bunch of stuff, including the program binaries and config folders.

I suspect you are working in pcbnew-standalone mode.
As most of board- and schematic settings are stored as project-settings you should always work with the main kicad manager, opening (or creating) a project and open the schematic/board from the kicad manager.

That is (unfortunately) not the case, I am opening pcbnew from the “main menu”

20230430_17h49m06s_grim

At least update to 6.0.11 the last version in the 6.0 series to check if it’s been addressed by a fix.

Hey, I have the same issue and couldn’t find a “fix” yet. I suspect it to be a permission issue, it works when I create a project in Ubuntu and copy it to my NixOS. Since I recently switched to NixOS I currently copy & paste an old project delete its content. Not too elegant sadly…

Hmm that’s truly strange. It suggests that NixOS imposes some extra permission system on top of the usual Linux ones. Unfortunately it requires someone willing to sleuth through the NixOS filesystem and documentation. Maybe ask around on NixOS forums?

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.