Assist with what footprint to use?

Do you know if there is a “finished” footprint that I can use for this component.
Or do I HAVE to design my own?

Try searching for SMA and DO-214 in the footprint libraries. I bet you there is a footprint for this, its a standard package.

That was fast!

Ther are many to select from.

I want them to mount it for me, in paralel with a relay coil.

This relays that I plane to mount my self:

1 Like

That footprint looks like a reasonable choice, but verify it against the proposed footprint (landscape pattern) in the datasheet of the component, and/or the mechanical dimensions of the component in the datasheet. It doesn’t have to match exactly, but it should be close enough.

Hi all, againe.

I have a few components more that I want to know what footprint to use?

I want foot print for these components:

footprint for components

Thanks in adwance!

You have to learn to browse through the KiCad official libraries and compare the footprints with part features/datasheets. For example everything with “0603”, “0805” etc. could already be covered.

You can also try your luck with SnapEDA or some other online service offering footprints.

We can’t do your homework, so just learn how to do it yourself. If you have a specific question related to that, please ask.

That was a good tip!

Found 4 fotprints when I searched for 0603, the thing is that it dose not look at all like the one on the there page?

Same with resistor. 4 footprints

The footprint (with two o’s) for the LED you selected is:

The 0603 that eelik mentioned is the first number (0201 in this case). The 0603Metric is in metric units, and these are unfortunately still less often used. A 0603 (“Imperial”) is not the same size as a 0603 “Metric”.

The wikipedia page below has a size comparison chart between metric and imperial sizes for the common rectangular resistor, capacitor and LED packages, and also has an overview of some other package sizes.

The US Metric Association has been lobbying for metric units in the USA for a bit over 100 years.
https://usma.org/

The link below has a simple way of test fitting footprints by printing it out on paper. This may be useful if you already have the parts.

I dont have the part, it is JLC PCB basic parts, very few of them.

Only a few smd leds to select from, so I am thinking they must be in the kicad libary.

So I selected wrong?

Should i search for 0201 insted?

The 0603 that eelik mentioned is the first number (0201 in this case). The 0603Metric is in metric units, and these are unfortunately still less often used. A 0603 (“Imperial”) is not the same size as a 0603 “Metric”.

Is the led fotprint I have selected not the best?

What should I select in that case?

No no, the size is almost always in imperial. Take a look at KiCad’s Resistor_SMD list:

The first number is the imperial size, which you should use.

The footprint doesn’t need to match exactly with the datasheet or with some other reference footprint. It’s enough that the pads are in the right places and right size for the physical component. KiCad has standard footprints for standard sizes and they should be good enough for most cases.

1 Like

Wher can I find the imperial size for this?

This must be the corect to use then?

It say 0603 first and then 1608metric

1 Like

You really should learn to do these basic tasks yourself.
They are listed on the table on Wikipedia I linked to earlier.

I don’t know, from China? :laughing:

A simple google search helps (that’s one of the basic engineering skills, too). It’s 0603 LED, looks like pretty standard stuff, so if you find any footprint for a 0603 LED it should be OK. Even a resistor footprint could suffice (although it must be modified so that polarity is correct and clear). But the component package is physically a bit different, so I would try to find a LED footprint first. And KiCad happens to have LED_0603 footprint.

On the PCB I have 427 components so it starts to get realy heavy for the brain!

But in general I agree!

It says 0603 and 1608 later, because 0603 is the case in inches, and 1608 is the case in milimeters.
They are equal values. The pdf footprint matches with one in the list from KiCAD.

1 Like

Take a break, have a cuppa tea.
Posting 427 times to get an answer for each footprint is not going to reduce your workload, and will be a bore on the other people on this forum.

but surely they are not all different. Usually there are loads of resistors of the same size, and similar for capacitors and LED’s, and KiCad has plenty of tools to quickly copy footprint information from one footprint to another. You will learn this if you get more experience with KiCad. I usually assign a footprint to the first resistor I place in the schematic, and then make copies of that resistor for all the others, that way the footprint is already attached.

Other methods for quickly assigning footprints to schematic symbols are:
Schematic Editor / Tools / Assign Footprints and
Schematic Editor / Edit Symbol Fields.

To help you find other parts, let me explain what those imperial and metric numbers mean. Both the Imperial and metric size codes are actually two numbers. For this example, let’s look at the datasheet that you posted. I don’t read chinese, but on the top of page two I see “1.1 封装尺寸:1.60.80.6mm”. Those numbers that I can read look an awful like dimensions to me. The unit is mm, so I know I’ll be looking for a metric size code. The two numbers of the metric code are in tenths of a millimeter, so by moving the decimal point I’d be looking for a metric code that has both the numbers 16 and 08 in it. This can either be 0816 or 1608, but usually the larger number is first so I would be looking for an LED footprint that has 1608metric in the name. Looks like you found one.

If I were looking for an imperial size code, the units for the two numbers are in mils (1/1000 inch, many machinists use the abbreviation “thou” as short for thousandths).

tl;dr SMT body sizes are often in the format of “xxyy” where:

• Metric: units are 1/10 of a milimeter
  • Imperial: units are 1/1000 of an inch

Hopefully this will help you read datasheets and understand what footprint sizes you need, at least for SMT resistors, caps, LEDs (diodes use other codes including SOD-nnn, DO-nnnnn, SMA, SMB, and SMC), inductors, etc. Look through the entire Wikipedia page that paulvdh linked above to see most of the package names used to help you identify the different names used in footprints for those packages. Experience will teach you the ones that you will most likely use most often.

Edit addendum: Note that these package sizes are the physical dimensions of the actual part, not of the solderable footprint extents. The pads on a footprint are larger than the terminals (or legs on an IC) to allow good solder joints. In the KiCad library the …HandSolder footprints have the pads lengthened a bit away from the component body to give a little more space to fit a soldering iron. Since you plan on having automatic assembly build part of these boards you could probably get away with the regular sized footprints. But if you think that you will need to do manual rework (change component values, repair broken or burned out components) you might want to consider using the …HandSolder footprints.

I just noticed something in this datasheet that you should watch out for. It looks like this LED has the anode marked, and then checking further up in this thread where you have the screenshot of JLCPCB’s EasyEDA symbol and footprint definition the anode is pin 1.

KiCad’s LED symbol has the cathode as pin1, as has been common in the industry for all diodes for decades. Make sure that you don’t have your LEDs backwards for this part.

Whoooo…

That is a answer!

My god the learning curve is big.

Thank you I will use this as a reference and dubbel check with you if I selected the corect footprint.

If this pcb will work I will be very happy.

But probably need a couple of month more.