Assign footprint to symbol removes symbol

after spending few hours on making both footprint and symbol and saving all i put my new symbol in eeschema and before i connect any components i try to assign it to footprint, symbol that was complete with all pins and names suddenly changes to square with ?? in it and some error apears. how convenient.

oh yeah it doesnt matter if software is free, it does not appear stable enough for serious use.

Well it’s good that at least you say “it does not appear to be stable”, however in answer to your question can I ask you, did you bother to read up all on how
to save your own symbols & footprints, the answer to your question is in that text.

Pat.

1 Like

This links should get you started:

Basically almost anything written by @Rene_Poschl should be read if you are a beginner

Some kicad versions have a bug that could be responsible for what you see. Save your schematic (yes scary with the question marks i know) and close kicad. Then open it and check if that fixed it. If that is the case then you expirienced this bug. You should also check if you are on the lates stable version (5.1.4)

If this does not fix your troubles try to use a symbol from the system libs and see if it behaves the same way. If not check what the difference between the way you save the lib is.

Also do you get any error message when opening the schematic? If so what is the message?

1 Like

All software has bugs; KiCad is no different.

However, KiCad developers are very serious about fixing bugs that cause real usability problems and typically do so in a very short period of time.

DOH! Just realised the OP was 3D and not 3H… poster is likely long gone.

thanks, will try that in few days maybe if i find time. since i post this issue here i already finished 2 pcbs in other software so please dont mind my low drive to actualy try again if ever…

well even forum reply dont work right xD

Forums work fine, thanks. Most often the problem sits in front of a computer.

As for your symbol going into the electronic nirvana… you don’t tell us WHAT you did.
You make it impossible for others to help you.
All you do is complain and whine.
Get your act together and behave like a grown up, man.
No one here is being paid to have to endure your uncooperative drivel.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.