Applying a solder mask to the board

According to the photo from “bobc” I set up such settings as well as change the number of layers where support wrote me what these layers are and in fact did not answer … but apparently this did not solve the problem (
It is very difficult to communicate with support, they selectively answer questions (

I tried the same settings (Protel) separately in the archive to record, but without additional layers.

We’ll see what they say …

PWBWay works fine with the standard gerbers if you use the protel file extensions. See also https://www.pcbway.com/helpcenter/technical_support/Generate_Gerber_file_from_Kicad.html.

1 Like

Ok, then explain … what do you need to indicate on the board or the “B.Mask” file so that they see what you need to apply with a solder mask if there are no mounting elements on the current layer?
For me it makes no difference whether to use the extension or not, the main thing is that the result be)
Thanks for the manual, but I saw nothing new there …

I still don’t know if you understand how the solder mask layer works, and I didn’t understand what you wrote.

Solder mask is physical substance which is applied to the board. It should not be applied to pads or (larger than very small) holes. The mask layer gerber file looks empty if the mask is applied everywhere. Where there is colored area in the layer the mask is not applied. If your board has no THT components or other through holes or CNC routed holes and has only very small vias the layer can be empty. Each pad and larger hole should be visible in the mask layer gerber.

If you want to leave the board without the mask and send them a gerber file which is completely colored they might think that it was a mistake. If that’s the case then just tell them to not to apply mask to the bottom layer.

Especially this was what I didn’t understand, if that matters:

• What are mounting elements?
  • What is “forced solder mask”?
  • Why is using KiCad relevant here, compared to other EDA?
  • “I will cut the board’s tracks and they will be unprotected.” I don’t understand that at all.
  • “add any mounting element on layer 2 without connecting to the tracks”. Didn’t understand that either.
  • What does the picture actually show?
1 Like

Excuse me for my messages, since I do not know English and I have to use Google translator.

2 layer need a solder mask. (For protection)

1. meaning … no footprints (components)
  2. this is how the support is written, apparently, an auto-translator is used for this … But the point is probably that you need to give the correct mask file.
  3. specified that I use KiCad
  4. if I forcibly draw a mask, then layer 2 will be unprotected (this is logical)
  5. It was due to the fact that I am looking for solutions for applying a solder mask on layer 2 … And added any layer (components) on layer 2
  6. I just indicated on the photo that I added a 2-pt footprint (components). Indicated that it was more understandable about what was in my message

OK, I’m pretty sure I understand what kind of board you want. You have a 2 sided board where the solder mask should be applied on the whole bottom side without holes in the mask.

First you tried without the B.Mask layer. It’s understandable they want the gerber for that layer. But I don’t know how they wouldn’t be able to handle an empty B.Mask gerber file or to understand that the solder mask should be applied to the whole bottom side. PCBWay is, after all, a relatively big manufacturer used by hobbyists and professionals alike.

If you want to create a “fake” hole in the mask so that the mask layer has something in it, you could just draw some graphics or text there as long as it doesn’t touch copper. There’s no need for a dummy footprint (“mounting”) element.

1 Like

Yes, you understood me quite correctly)
Like me you)

Yes, they are a big company, but I also cannot understand what such a problem arises in a simple place … (
I’m just tired of PCBWay ((

Yes, it was possible to draw graphics as well as text, but indicated a component)
I think it does not matter. I do not want to send another archive for review with a schedule / text)) Since there will be confusion and selectively answer questions … (

And at the moment I am waiting for the result of checking archives … :slight_smile:

Well … received a response from the support:

1. the archive with the extension of the file Protel does not solve the problem (
  2. on the archive with the installed component on the 2 layer, write that:
    This file has masks, but not quite. The other red line is no mask

And how to be then …? component in the mask and the line without a mask from them …

Is it possible that you violate some minimum spacing requirements? (Did you setup DRC correctly and did you run it?)

Did you draw that arrow or is it from within the tool of the manufacturer?

No DRC Error
Arrows drew support what to indicate what it is about

Maybe to identify the problem to put here a gerber archive?

Let’s go to the first resort. Can you upload your whole project here or in some file service for us to see and test? Otherwise we will spend countless or hours with no avail.

1 Like

Yes, please, and the KiCad project is even better because it may be easier to find an error. The best is to give both the project and gerbers.

1 Like

OK,
in the archive there are all the files that have a connection with the project, as well as the gerber files are separately in the archives
Driver.rar (152.3 KB)

I don’t see any problem with your files.

This is complete nonsense. “This file has masks, but not quite.” Whaaat?

“The other red line is no mask”. Of course it’s not, its a track. And if that’s “the other”, what is the first one?

Maybe they just didn’t understand at first that you want the bottom side covered with mask, and further (mis)communication and modifications made both parties more confused. Could you just tell them this: “I just want the back side totally covered with soldermask”. And give the the version where the B.Mask gerber has nothing in it if they require it.

You have no idea how I perverted the text to explain what I need.
And in response, we can not and prepare we need for this file.

I just can not understand … whether the support is not competent and carries nonsense …
In addition, he asked me to be switched to another person with support or whoever is older from them … but she does not answer such questions as in other and always selectively (
I cannot understand anyone to complain, she accepts all messages by the name of Brenda and this is bad … (

I wrote to her that, for checking other people, no errors were found, and again I wrote down what you wrote to send it in the text.

Maybe for the sake of experiment, you create a gerber file and I am sending it for review?

Total out of the box thinking here, but have you tried another vendor with a full set of gerbers (protel extension) yet?
Price wise there shouldn’t be a big difference.

I myself had trouble at the start to get devilpcb or what is their name to work for me and wound up at another vendor that was a tiny bit more expensive (we’re talking single digit dollars here) but never had a problem since. Food for thought :wink:

Received a request from the PCBWay support quote:
can you ask them send you any pictures about the bottom soldermask layers?
Thanks, I also want to find where the problem

I do not know what it will solve … but still @eelik attach the file on request)

Yes, I thought about it, but if the issue is not resolved, you will have to switch to another manufacturer’s company …

I’m perplexed. There’s no problem to solve except they don’t understand there’s no problem. Why don’t they just produce the board? Maybe yours and theirs limited English skills led them to believe you have some further problem or specific need, while the only problem was that originally you didn’t give the the empty gerber. Maybe they are now stuck thinking there was some other problem. I don’t know, I just give up.

I may be wrong, maybe there’s some other problem. What I can see in your first screenshot is that there’s no B.Mask layer, although on the other hand you said you

If there was no B.Mask gerber, it’s natural they couldn’t be sure whether to apply the mask to the whole backside or not to apply it at all. I would like to know what actually was their original problem when they first responded after your first gerbers. But I believe you understand that I don’t want to be a third party between you two in this conversation.