Am I just lucky, or what

Hi there! I’ve been running KiCad 4022 for may years and have been very happy. I chose not to upgrade to the later stable releases of version 4 as the horror stories related to git-hub really put me off. But now 5s come along and I’m sorely tempted. However I have a question: I want to do a fresh install on a second machine which doesn’t have KiCad installed, but on which I have run KiCad. I managed this by uploading the KiCad folder and my project folder from a first computer (on which 4022 had been installed) to the cloud and from the second computer ran KiCad just by clicking on the KiCad binary in the cloud and loading my projects from the cloud, which worked wonderfully. Now to me, this cloud version is like a stand-alone version - which shouldn’t be possible. So I guess I have two questions:

1. Am I just lucky
  2. Can I install Kicad 5 onto my second computer, or will the fact that I’ve run the binary of 4022 on it from the cloud have created the tables which could cause me problems with the install which have been written about over the last few weeks?

Thanks

Martin

Why not?

I think 4022 predates the footprint tables, so it should be unaffected.

I run 4022 and v5.0.0 in the same machine. No interferences.

Kubuntu 14.04.

@bobc - I read that one KiCad user was trying to set up KiCad to run from a USB stick, but wasn’t having any luck - which is effectively what I’ve got running in the cloud.

Gesendet von Yahoo Mail auf Android

Here’s the instructions to make KiCad 5.0.0 portable (i.e. runnable from a USB stick): Portable KiCad (nightly build) in Windows

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.