All the work lost!

I downloaded and installed the new RELEASE 5.xxx and I’m increasingly realizing that I’ve done wrong! After three days of work, first on the schematic and then on the PCB, I had almost finished my PCB but … all disappeared !!! Evidently something has changed: I first create the scheme, then I associate the fingerprints and create the net-list, then I open (directly from EESCHEMA) the PCBNew and, importing the net-list, I create the PCB. The only thing I do, but always, is that the PCB is in a different folder from the SCHEMA … it seems that everything is fine, but it is not because the file *** pcb is unobtainable, then
I did a lot of work for nothing, it seems … it was better to stay with the old RELEASE that was fine

From your description it’s difficult to say what went wrong. Could it be possible for you to create a screencast about what you do instead of only describing it with words?

I have several PCBs that each save in the folder corresponding to his project, specially created: for each project I have two folders, one called ELECTRIC SCHEMES (where there is the schema, in fact, created with EESCHEMA) and another that call MASTER PCB where I go to save the master, in fact. Until the previous version everything was fine, and I find them all in the corresponding folders. Now it’s not like that anymore, it’s only valid for EESCHEMA, in MASTER PCB PROJECTXXXX I can not find anything! I did a search all over the PC and I found the work done here:
MASTER CIRCUITS PRINTED (C: \ VTRoot \ HarddiskVolume1 \ NewTech - Ebay \ PROJECTS NEW TECH \ ELECTRONIC BOARDS \ SCH15008 … "
what does it mean? If I open with a double click I reopen the project done until yesterday, without having lost anything, and if I move it puts me where I want to: but if I change it, it always saves me in this path … why ??

Such a workflow has not really been supported since the introduction of the kicad project file. this was done with version 4.

I would guess you can do it but you will need to have two kicad sessions open (one for the schematic and one for the pcb) However you will loose all cross probe features (like cross net highlighting in schematic/pcb or even highlighting parts in both tools) As far as kicad is concerned this will mean you have two different projects.

To fix this and get everything into a single project, copy the pcb_new file into the same directory where your schematic for this project is located.

3 Likes

And before you do anything, make back-up copies of both the schematic and the PCB files!

Dale

4 Likes

I do not have any PCB.NEW files in any folder, these are the files in the SCHEMI folder:
Schema Elettrico SCHEDA CARICABATTERIE.net
Schema Elettrico SCHEDA CARICABATTERIE.pro
Schema Elettrico SCHEDA CARICABATTERIE.sch
Schema Elettrico SCHEDA CARICABATTERIE-cache.lib

Wherever this lives there must be a pcb_new file and or a sch file.

1 Like

And the problem remains, even doing as you say, KICAD saves me the PCB in another folder that I then have to look for (the famous folder C: \ VTRoot \ HarddiskVolume1 \ NewTech - Ebay \ PROJECTS NEW TECH \ ELECTRONIC BOARDS \ SCH15008 …). Now I have in my folder only the SCHEMATICO the PCB no, and even if I go to retrieve it if I make changes to it I will always save it there

VTRoot is a COMODO Antivirus specific “sandbox” folder.
Seems like the AV Software messes up KiCad’s files hierarchy.

Ah! In fact I have COMODO as AV … it’s now how do I restore? But COMODO had it before, at Rel. 4 of KICAD

I don’t know COMODO AV, but I would look for somewhere in the AV program how to restore a file from quarantine, or similar language.

You would also probably want to find a setting the the AV package for white listing .pcb_new files, and if it is advanced enough make the filter only white list ASCII files with .pcb_new extensions, providing some sort of protection against malicious executables masquerading as .pcb_new files. (I’ve never even heard of such a beast, so that level of paranoia might not be necessary. YMMV.)

1 Like

No way! I can not configure COMODO because I ignore the KICAD files … and if I open the PCB from the SCHEMATICO I always save the project in that damn folder (which I can not change anymore)

For a start, completely disable COMODO real-time AV. Then try to open the file from the Project folder, and make sure it stays there.
Once this will work for you, you can tweak COMODO’s settings to whitelist Kicad’s files.

No way! It does not work even if you disable COMODO_AV continues to save the .PCB file in the C: \ VTRoot \ HarddiskVolume1 \ NewTech folder - Ebay \ PROJECTS NEW TECH \ ELECTRONIC BOARDS \ SCH15008 …

How do you open the project?
If you double click the pcb file in the VTRoot directory then it is expected that kicad will continue to save to this directory. You first need to copy the pcb_new file to wherever you want it to live from now on. (preferably into the same directory as all other files of this project.)

So: I open the PcbNew by clicking on the EESCHEMA icon, after creating the fingerprints and the netlist, ok? So I make the changes etc. that I need to my PCB except and … the project is not saved in the folder where the schema is, but on the other side (the folder C: \ VTRoot etc.). If I take the .pcb file that I find in this folder and copy it to the one where it is schematic, I open the .pcb file and modify it further, all the changes are lost and no longer exist! The existing .pcb file in the C: \ VTRoot … folder is changed regularly

At this point, since there is no way to solve the problem, and the .PCB file (along with that .PRO) ALWAYS is saved in the folder that decides COMODO_AV I wonder if it is not better:

1. uninstall KICAD 5.0 and go back to the old 4.xxxx version hoping that no project will be lost and continue to be workable and editable
  2. uninstall COMODO_AV disconnecting from the internet, reboot the PC and reinstall COMODO_AV and then reconnect to the internet, hoping that the situation is resolved and that in the meantime I do not download a virus / malware world on the PC and so on

For the next project use some version control system, at least use dropbox!

1 Like

Maybe this could help:

https://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/617328967248066054/

Be very careful

1 Like

Oooohhh, then we did it, it seems !? The solution of MAUI is the correct one, it is enough to intervene on the Applications in COMODO as described and finally the problem has been solved … let’s hope so well! I always doubt that turning off the PC and turning it back on tomorrow, everything returns as before, if not worse!
Thank you for the moment, thank you very much (it is a pity that the work done has been lost and I have to redo everything …) :sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses: