Adding digikey footprint library

I have sucessfully added the digikey symbols following the guidelines in Kicad 7 Beginners Guide to Personal Symbol and Footprint Libraries 1 and supplemental information provided in this forum.

To add footprints, I have the digikey-footprints.pretty located at documents/kicad/kicad6/footprints/digikey-footprints.pretty. There are many files in that folder, including the one I want.

I go to the pcb board editor and in preferences choose manage footprints.

I click + at the bottom left corner.

I click on the folder icon in the gray line.

I see the folder

I click on the folder and the screen shows that the folder is empty.

In any case I select the folder and click ok.

I am taken to the pcb editor screen.

I select add a footprint to see the selections.

I see nothing related to the folder.

I go back to the schematic screen, add a digikey screw terminal and it shows the digikey footprint address but the screen says no footprint available.

Where is my error?

Thank you for the patient help.

Gary

OK so far.

No, this should take you to the “Select Path” page, as occurred when the symbol library was added.

On the select path page, you use the column on the left to navigate to the Digikey footprint library you have placed in (I think you wrote) Documents.

When you find the Digikey footprint library, double click on that file, which brings you back to the Footprint Libraries list with your newly added Digikey library on the bottom of the list, add a Nickname and save.

this is what I see. where am I going wrong?

It looks like you have done what is needed to add the footprint library . . . I have done similar (my folder is empty). If you go to your PCB and click add footprint, you should be able to scroll down to your new custom library, digikey fooprints

Do you have footprints stored in that library or is it empty ?

The library is full. I am no able to add footprints manually to items I have in the schematic.

I will say that I am going to write a step by step guide to doing this. Figuring this stuff out the first time can be a challenge.

This is done in the Schematic Editor.
Right click on a symbol, select Properties OR Hotkey “E”
In Symbol Properties, third line down says Footprint.
Click on empty value space, click on the 3 books at Right.
In new window, find the required footprint in the Digikey library and double click.
Footprint is now attached to that symbol.
When you use “Tools > Update PCB from schematic”. Your Footprint will appear on the PCB.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.