7.0rc eeschema - Empty Net Class list?

I’m testing 7.0 rc2 by opening an old project.

I’m wondering why the Net Class table is empty in Schematic Setup window?

Application: KiCad Schematic Editor x86_64 on x86_64

Version: 7.0.0-rc2-unknown-0e939993bc~164~ubuntu20.04.1, release build

Libraries:
	wxWidgets 3.2.1
	FreeType 2.10.1
	HarfBuzz 2.6.4
	FontConfig 2.13.1
	libcurl/7.68.0 OpenSSL/1.1.1f zlib/1.2.11 brotli/1.0.7 libidn2/2.2.0 libpsl/0.21.0 (+libidn2/2.2.0) libssh/0.9.3/openssl/zlib nghttp2/1.40.0 librtmp/2.3

Platform: Ubuntu 20.04.5 LTS, 64 bit, Little endian, wxGTK, xubuntu, x11

Build Info:
	Date: Jan 26 2023 20:33:52
	wxWidgets: 3.2.1 (wchar_t,wx containers) GTK+ 3.24
	Boost: 1.71.0
	OCC: 7.5.2
	Curl: 7.68.0
	ngspice: 38
	Compiler: GCC 9.4.0 with C++ ABI 1013

Build settings:
	KICAD_USE_EGL=ON
	KICAD_SPICE=ON

Did the project have netclasses defined previously? If so, please report this as a bug and attach the project.

Assignments of nets has changed from V6 → V7. In V6 and earlier you manually put each net in a net class, while in V7 you create “patterns” and net classes are assigned to nets based on the created patterns. You can create / edit these patterns both in the schematic and PCB editors.

I don’t know the details, I have not used this much myself. I also don’t know if this can cause conversion problems with old schematics.

Well, this is the same project on V6:

Oh, I wrote “Net Classes” but what I don’t find in V7 are the “Nets” which I suppose should be listed in the same table as in V6?

Please report a bug with this project. We should have generated a new assignment pattern for the +12V net to pwr netclass. cc @JeffYoung

The UI has changed so you no longer expect to see a list of nets, but the list on the left (with netclass pattern assignments) should not be empty for this project.

1 Like

I’m seeing the same here with an older project opened in V7.0.0-rc2. It has 6 net classes of various widths, but the “pattern” area remains empty. I did not even realize it was a bug because I’m unfamiliar with this new pattern assignment thing.

I can add a pattern, but I have to add a slash in front of the net names before KiCad recognizes them for netclass assignment.

Reported here:
https://gitlab.com/kicad/code/kicad/-/issues/13684

2 Likes

Hi @dhaillant

I’m getting a 404 on that link and can’t find the issue on Gitlab.

It’s a confidential issue so only the dev team can see it.

1 Like

Thanks,
Now I know why the 404. and some issue numbers are missing. :slightly_smiling_face:

Indeed. We would much rather have confidential issues with project files attached than no issues :slight_smile:

1 Like

Absolutely!
I had thought something must have gone awry with the report. Never seen this behavior before…Live and learn :slightly_smiling_face:

I have noticed before that issues on gitlab went “missing” after a request to make them confidential. I don’t know how much of a “hindrance” this confidentiality thing is, and how many of the KiCad developers can not see the issue anymore. If this is of any importance, then I can create and upload another test project, so there is no need to keep it confidential anymore.

Two other guesses:

• I guess that it happens with most older projects ported to the new system, so lot’s of people could make a test case.
  • I guess it’s a quite small thing and easy to fix, so not worth making much fuss about.

I’d guess that those who need to know, know, and are also able to find the bug and describe it “technically” without the original report, to whom ever decides to fix the bug.

I’m pleased that a report was made and the forum notified.
Next time I see a 404 on a linked report I’ll know it is confidential and the reporter was polite enough to inform the forum a report was made. :slightly_smiling_face: :+1:

Yes, sorry, I checked confidential by mistake… I can’t find a way to open it again.
(I removed everything that I didn’t want to share.)

1 Like

I turned off the confidentiality, now it’s visible.

EDIT: it was in the right hand panel below labels etc.

1 Like

Nothing to apologize for. I learnt something new! :smiley:

So, we haven’t been able to reproduce the problem.

I suspect there are some precise events that could trigger this issue.

Also, I had, in an other project, twice the “Default” netclass.
Closing and reopening the same project, only one Default netclass is now present.

@paulvdh if you have a design that reproduces this problem in the latest nightly, please add it to the (now-public) issue since we haven’t yet found out how to trigger it.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.