7.0.0 PCBNew: missing resize handles on imported graphics

Because it’s never ever in the correct scale and I can’t relate it with the PCB as it should.
yes, there are different CADs each specialized in a particular field.
But this doesn’t forbid to implement such feature at all, on any of them.
Indeed there are EDAs with such feature. So …

It will never be on the right scale until you edit it to exact dimensions… The footprint has exact dimensions and the picture should have exact dimensions only for the first you already have a footprint editor and for the second there are freecad and many others. For this reason, EDAs will remain so and altium will work with solidworks )

I have to say that it doesn’t respect at all the dimensions when graphics is imported as I indicated.

It’s always huge and I have to delete and to import trying the rescale value and because it’s always wrong somehow, I have to repeat and repeat and repeat.

The last scale it was 0.2 … 2/10 in practice … so what’s the point do design in scale when if imported it doesn’t get it right?

It’s nothing personal. There are currently over 1300 open issues for KiCad on gitlab. About half a year ago there were over 2000 open issues. Each month about 200 to 300 new issues are created, and as many (or a few more) are fixed and closed again.

If this issue is very important to you, then take action. There are a few things you can do:

1. Start lobbying for upvotes for that issue (easy and free)
  2. Get a support contract with https://www.kipro-pcb.com/ They do priority development, but it’s not free.
  3. Fix it yourself and make a merge request. (Only viably if you know C++)
  4. Find someone with C++ knowledge and convince him to do it for you.
  5. You can attempt to bribe one of the existing KiCad developers to do this for you.
  6. More? Use your imagination…
2 Likes

Edit your picture to a size in an external editor when importing, specify a scale of 1:1

There is no need to.
You can directly enter a scale value during import of vector graphics:

Indeed this I know. But you have not any insurance the scale you put is correct. Then you press OK and ONLY at that point, it’s imported.
The scale can be (and it is 99% of the time) wrong.
So you need to repeat the import and try several scales before to get the correct one (as I said in several my messages here).

There is not way to edit the size once it is imported. Nor with a number (like in your screenshot) nor with handles. Zero. Nothing.

After editing in an external editor, the migration takes place 1:1 checked on at least 5 different files in all cases the size of the contour is the same

There is a need for this when you need to edit the image along the contour or do you suggest translating the scale into mm in your head?))

Lack of scaling after the import is not ideal, and I assume it will be fixed at some time, but there is not much need for:

You can import it at scale 1:1, then measure it’s size (PCB Editor / Place / Add … Dimension or any other method such as setting a temporary (dx, dy) zero location with the spacebar) and also do this for the size you want. Then delete it and divide those two numbers for a scale factor for a second import.

Also, have you seen this recent post:

2 Likes

I read now the post you suggested.
It’s not yet into the plugin list. I will check the details because it seems it does the job btu Im’ not sure till the moment I will try it

It seemed didn’t work. But it does.

For the SVGs: necessary to double-click them: then you can resize them.
Instead for any PAD: just click them and resize them.

This is the feature I was looking for on KiCAD. A simple plugin in Python made the job. One year waiting: and lots of discussions: never made it.

Kicad is a Free Open Source programme mostly done with volunteer time and effort.

@tormyvancool , you are lucky. Someone was willing to donate the time and effort to create a function that, amongst other things, suits your purpose.

3 Likes

Indeed I thank him a zillion for his effort.

1 Like

So now you can tick that off your list of complaints and move on to the next one. :rofl:

1 Like

Sure … to test how a backlog is kept empty … :smiley: just tell to requesters: ah this is needless to us :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.