7.0.0 PCBNew: missing resize handles on imported graphics

on PCBNew, when graphics is imported: no resize handles to adjust the size (of course)
In case you want to edit the size in a second time: not possible. You need to delete everything and to re-import the graphics.

I don’t know why but I was convinced in the 7.0 this missing part was added somehow

I reported this about a week ago:

… and that issue was supposedly fixed in record time ( 13 minutes between reporting and "fix committed). I guess you read about that issue somewhere (It started on the user forum here).

I did check upon this yesterday, and I could resize the picture (In V7.0.0) I could not resize earlier in the same project. Maybe the fix was too quick and not thorough enough, maybe it has something to do with your version or how it was built…

2 Likes

Which exact Kicad-version do you use? There was an bug (Images can not be selected (moved, rescaled, etc) in the PCB Editor. (#13747) · Issues · KiCad / KiCad Source Code / kicad · GitLab) which is already fixed in the latest downloads.

I told in the title and inside my message:

If you mean nightly build etc. No. I do use only the official release.

And when I import my SVG files (normally logos etc), there is no way to edit the size of them

To get this: Start KiCad, and then Help / About / Copy Version Info and then paste it here.
The complete version info is about 20 lines of text, and mine looks like:

Application: KiCad x86_64 on x86_64

Version: 7.0.0-da2b9df05c~163~ubuntu20.04.1, release build

Libraries:
	wxWidgets 3.2.1
	FreeType 2.10.1
	HarfBuzz 6.0.0
	FontConfig 2.13.1
	libcurl/7.68.0 OpenSSL/1.1.1f zlib/1.2.11 brotli/1.0.7 libidn2/2.2.0 libpsl/0.21.0 (+libidn2/2.2.0) libssh/0.9.3/openssl/zlib nghttp2/1.40.0 librtmp/2.3

Platform: Linux Mint 20.3, 64 bit, Little endian, wxGTK, xfce, x11

Build Info:
	Date: Feb 14 2023 10:38:50
	wxWidgets: 3.2.1 (wchar_t,wx containers) GTK+ 3.24
	Boost: 1.71.0
	OCC: 7.5.2
	Curl: 7.87.0
	ngspice: 38
	Compiler: GCC 9.4.0 with C++ ABI 1013

Build settings:
	KICAD_SPICE=ON

The important stuff for mf_ibfeew probably is the da2b9df05c string. That identifies some exact build or packaging variant so he can see whether the patch from last week was included in your build.

Ah ok however I’m not on my production machine so I can’t grab the exact version of KiCAD in this moment (I’m from a laptop and not at my place).

However it’s the 7.0.0 official release for Windows 11 64 bit. Only later I can post the exact version as you suggested

Please here my KiCAD Info

Application: KiCad x64 on x64

Version: (7.0.0), release build

Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.2.1
FreeType 2.12.1
HarfBuzz 5.0.1
FontConfig 2.14.1
libcurl/7.83.1-DEV Schannel zlib/1.2.13

Platform: Windows 11 (build 22000), 64-bit edition, 64 bit, Little endian, wxMSW

Build Info:
Date: Feb 12 2023 01:35:19
wxWidgets: 3.2.1 (wchar_t,wx containers)
Boost: 1.80.0
OCC: 7.6.2
Curl: 7.83.1-DEV
ngspice: 39
Compiler: Visual C++ 1934 without C++ ABI

Build settings:
KICAD_SPICE=ON

And when I import my SVG files (normally logos etc), there is no way to edit the size of them

ok, so you got a unrelated reply, both answers (from paul and me) refer to import of bitmap graphics (new feature in v7, could be used as background-image, for footprint-design or reverse-engineering).

The import of vector graphics (SVG/DXF) is still not scalable. And I’m not aware of ongoing work for such a feature.
There is at least a gitlab- feature-request referring to SVG-import: Dealing with graphics and scaling: Ideas/Feature request (#13072) · Issues · KiCad / KiCad Source Code / kicad · GitLab

Well also because I don’t see any other way since here I can choose only DWG or SVG
Moreover, the request on github is of 2 months ago it means that perhaps we can have ti next year … perhaps

I hope in a 7.0.1 to get this feature (without to hope for 1 year and perhaps don’t get this :-/ ) .
It’s quite annoying, once you don’t know exactly the scale, to try and retry to import.
With handles is the way to go with any imported graphics :slight_smile:

I have to disappoint you again. Normally all Kicad v.0.x-versions (in this case: all Kicad v7.0.x-versions) get only bugfixes, no new added features. This decision was made to get a stable version for production-use with as few bugs as possible.

New features (which are more likely to also introduce new bugs) are added to the current development-version (== nightly version == v7.99 == the next upcoming v8 for next year). So if someone takes the work for that feature you could get it with v8, but currently no one is working on that - so I would not bet for vector-graphics resizing.
By the way, feature freeze for v8 is sometime around autumn 2023.

You could look into the parallel thread “Post-v7 new features and development news” to see what is added to that development version.

Well I should say that this feature, was already discussed many months ago … even by myself … so way before the 7.0.0 closure was taking place. Way before!
I just didn’t mentioned it because I don’t recall where I wrote it if here, or in the gitlab … don’t recall.

Although I remember that it was forwarded that note for the v7. But then I lost the tracking and I was really hoping this was implemented now.

Since the imported SVGs are really handled in a very crapy way (it is!). Despite what one can say against what I told, they are useful for Logos (just for instance).

Hence I’m very disappointed it was ditto ignored. So I’m not here to install unstable versions (7.99 etc) of KiCAD with stuff that more probably will disappear once the official release is out, and then screwing up all the projects at once, and with nor any compatible plugins … it’s very dangerous indeed, as you can imagine.

So to wait another year hoping … on the nothing … as already 1 year is gone … for nothing (about this specific feature)

You should not assume that if you discussed something that it should be made.
Probably there are other, more important things to be done.
When KiCad was 4.0.7 (if remember well) I was writing and discussing that snapping that can jump my cursor half the screen is not the best solution and snapping should always be limited to some screen pixels and I see nothing wrong that it is still not implemented (I didn’t checked V7 yet).
I think there are many tools that allow you to scale SVG so the problem has way around.

I got your point although the “ways around” are not the way to work. They are just the ways around.
And there is nothing to do externally. Resize must be done inside the program since it does what it wants on its own way.

So: import, resize (the required adjustments) and placement.

her it’ snot even possible to resize. You have to remove and re-import and try other scales. The way like in the '70s … well if I see my calendar we’re in 2023 :smiley:

What does the svg format have to do with radio electronics? Your wishlist makes 2d-3d cad if you embed all this in kicad then get altium + where even for 7000 normally it does not work

1 Like

You suggest that it is KiCad who wants your svg in other scale. It (at least now) may not be true.

It has to do when you have to include graphics inside the project.
Right?
Don’t tell me you never seen the logo of a Company or other indications graphically imported into PCB.

In a certain way yes I mean:

when you import graphics, and only DXFs and SVGs are possible, to have handles to resize the imported graphics.
Also the more basic rescale, there is not, once imported I mean.
So: selecting the object and click on EDIT, not ay scale it appears. AND it can be temporary sufficient.
Handles are better choice of course.

Board is gerber picture is a different format. Do you understand the difference between, for example, freecad and kicad? Who forbids you to use the graphics editor for graphics?You need scale another need to draw drawings the third need a built-in drawing editor and then we get a bunch of glitches and bugs with the outgoing program