5.1.5 Interactive router weird track angles

I’ve just upgraded my 5.1.4 to 5.1.5, to notice that something weird happened to the Interactive router.
It normally kept my tracks limited to straight or 45deg, but now sometimes it routes tracks at weird angles.
There’s a general setting for this, but should only apply to Legacy mode.

Please see the above drawing, there’s jagged track running at weird angle where the endpoint was not on a grid. Previousy the router just extended the track using the 90/45 degree rule.
Anyone noticed such behavior?

1 Like
3 Likes

Hi eelik, thanks for the link. Ineed seems to be the same issue. Must be some regression bug, as never noticed the problem in 5.1.4. So still I will have to wait for my “perfect kicad” :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have noticed yesterday (5.1.5) situation very close to this bug but my grid was not set very fine (it was 0.1mm) but the track I was connecting to was not in grid (I don’t know which way it have happened - I didn’t changed my grid during routing).
Here is the situation during routing:

And just after destined track was catched:

I was not able to have this track left horizontal. The connection point could be a little higher or a little lower than other track ends.
I didn’t noticed that in 5.1.4

1 Like

I had the same problem. I finally had a straight line. I think I started the vertical track from a point of the the horizontal one. It can also be done by editing the vertical track and adjusting its coordinates.

Did you (all) already go to that bug report in gitlab and add thumb up?

Thumb up! But I’m not sure that both bugs are the same bug.

I don’t understand what ‘add thumb up’ means.
Two hypothesis:

• to mark that it also touches me - don’t see how to do it (but not registered in gitlab yet - may be will be visible then),
  • to go through all messages and read them.

There’s a “Thumbs up” button below original issue. Btw, this “thumbs up” seems a “trademark” of today.
What does it mean for a bug report? “OK, Nice bug.” ?.. “I like this bug, too” ?..
But if that works for the majority, it’s OK for me to click strange icons. I can live with that.

BTW, I keep working with my projects and must admit that this new bug is very annoying, unfortunately… Fixing these jaggies requires some patience.

@Pedro seem very closely related. Some change to Interactive Router can bypass the “45/90 degree” rule. It’s related to keeping the segment endpoints strictly on the grid. If you’re slightly off-grid (e.g. routed some traces using finer grid) it will forcely connect the ends using a method that bypasses the “45/90d” rule.

1 Like

See this dev mailing list thread about “thumb up”: https://lists.launchpad.net/kicad-developers/msg43072.html.

Fixed, should be available in the next nightly builds for 5.99 and testing builds for 5.1.

2 Likes

Fixed in the Jenkins builds (I’m on (5.1.5-52-g344440955)-1, release build and so far all OK here).

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.