3D viewer: Difference between "Reset view" and "Home view"

Hello all,

What is the difference (except the name and hotkey) between “Reset view” (hotkey R) and “Home view” (hotkey “Home”) in the KiCad 3D viewer?

They seem to me, to do the same thing; return the 3D view to the default position, rotation and zoom.
What am I missing?
What is the difference between them, that is the cause for two different seemingly identical commands?

I’ve tried them out in a very recent Nightly:

Application: KiCad 3D Viewer x86_64 on x86_64

Version: 7.99.0-1.20231115git44374c6.fc39, release build

Libraries:
wxWidgets 3.2.2
FreeType 2.13.1
HarfBuzz 8.2.1
FontConfig 2.14.2
libcurl/8.2.1 OpenSSL/3.1.1 zlib/1.2.13 brotli/1.1.0 libidn2/2.3.4 libpsl/0.21.2 (+libidn2/2.3.4) libssh/0.10.5/openssl/zlib nghttp2/1.55.1 OpenLDAP/2.6.6

Platform: Fedora Linux 39 (KDE Plasma), 64 bit, Little endian, wxGTK, X11, KDE, wayland

Build Info:
Date: Nov 15 2023 18:23:33
wxWidgets: 3.2.2 (wchar_t,wx containers) GTK+ 3.24
Boost: 1.81.0
OCC: 7.6.3
Curl: 8.2.1
ngspice: 41
Compiler: GCC 13.2.1 with C++ ABI 1018

Build settings:

The same result in 7.0.9 for those without 7.99.

'tis an interesting question :thinking:

In principle, Home and Reset-View are equivalent.

Some keyboards have a Home-Key, some don’t. Thus, user has the option.

On my Mac, Home is the Fn-Key plus Left-Arrow. So, I can press either:
R or can press Fn ←

1 Like

On my Linux box [Home] does nothing in the 3D viewer while [R] shows the PCB straight from the top.

In Preferences / Hotkeys [Home] also does not have a key assignment for the 3D Viewer for me, which implies the “Common / Zoom to Objects” may be the active function for the 3D viewer.

Edit / Addition: Do note I may have fiddled a bit with some of the key assignments at some point, so I can’t guarantee the settings I have are the default.

Interesting but, not surprising… Mac/Windows are, well, they’re not Linux (and all that implies…)

These are the Defaults (screenshot) on my system - I did Not set them… Google keyboard Home Button…

Linux Mint without modifications displays this:

On the system I specify in my first post - fedora Linux with 7.99 nightly - Home and R do the same thing. I have not, that I know of, changed any hotkeys. It is an upgrade, not a fresh install, of the nightly though. The fresh install was probably in the summer.

If the intention is to have two different keys do the same thing, I would prefer that the tooltip / description for one or both of them would state clearly that they are equivalent. It would preempt at least some degree of confusion.

They do essentially (but not quite) the same thing. It’s probably worth a bug report; one of them should be removed.

What is the difference?
Is there a background of need to have both, and if any such need, how could it be described more clearly?

Nope, there is no meaningful difference or need to have both. They just use slightly different zoom factors.

1 Like

Is it now possible to have two different hotkeys defined at the same time for one command? Like both R and Home?

In 7.99:

1 Like

Not on my Mac. Everything seems identical… size, zoom-speed… everything.

Bug report gitlab issue:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.