3D file resolver; no such path

Hello, Kicadians:

I have reviewed some of the postings surrounding this topic, but I cannot get my head wrapped around a solution.
First of all, I should mention that the KiCad project was created in one folder, but I then cut-and pasted the entire folder into another location. This didn’t seem to create any problems with Eeschema or the PCB editor except (perhaps) with the exporting of the PCB as a *.STEP file.

When I attempted the *.STEP export, this message was generated:

Warning: HH:MM:SS: [3D File Resolver] No such path; ensure the environment var is defined
Warning: C:\Program Files\KiCad\share\kicad\modules\packages3d\Module.3dshapes\Arduino_Nano_WithMountingHoles.wrl

But as outlined in the thread, [Nightly / version 5 - 3D File Resolver No such path], the *.wrl in question does exist on that path.

I subsequently discovered that the *.wrl in question wasn’t the correct one, in any case. It should’ve been a variation I created and had put in my “custom 3d shapes”. The OEM KiCad version was being picked up by mistake, probably because there was a reference to the OEM KiCad directory in the 3d properties tab for the footprint. That is to say:

1. the PCB board being referenced was the original one from the KiCad Library, while
  2. the *.wrl of the Arduino PCB module (which I created myself) was being pulled from my “Custom” library.

After I sorted out those apparent conflicts, I attempted to export the PCB as a *.STEP file, and this time it actually turned out to have all of the component models. BUT (and this is the confusing thing), I still got the same error message, i.e.,

Warning: HH:MM:SS: [3D File Resolver] No such path; ensure the environment var is defined
Warning: C:\Program Files\KiCad\share\kicad\modules\packages3d\Module.3dshapes\Arduino_Nano_WithMountingHoles.wrl

So my questions are:

1. What is generating this error message, and can it be resolved ?
  2. Has anybody created a tree diagram that shows the structure of the directories for the symbols, footprints and 3d models with particular reference to where the user’s Custom directories should be placed in the hierarchy?
  3. I am still confused about the use of proper use of “aliases” when creating / editing the Environment Variables paths ( I suspect some of the ones I have created may be useless / null-and-void). If someone can explain this with clarity, that would be much appreciated.
    v.W

Is this problem occurring in your Kicad 5.1.4 version?

Yes, JMK, that is correct.

I seem to have, for the most part, resolved the issue(s) with the *.STEP files. But I am still getting error messages. Perhaps this is something that will never be understood / resolved given that it is occurring within v5.xxx.

But I am still curious:

1. Has anybody created a tree diagram that shows the structure of the directories for the symbols, footprints and 3d models with particular reference to where the user’s Custom directories should be placed in the hierarchy?
  2. I am still confused about the use of proper use of “aliases” when creating / editing the Environment Variables paths ( I suspect some of the ones I have created may be useless / null-and-void). If someone can explain this with clarity, that would be much appreciated.
    v.W
    [/quote]

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.