Zone manager in 8.99: Automatically repour if values changed in zone manager - or not?

In the zone manager as of the current 8.99 nightly, the “Repour” checkbox in the lower left corner is not checked by default.

If I make a change to the values in the zone manager, it is easy to forget to check it, which leads to the zones not being updated.
My spontaneous wish / idea / expectation would be that if any value is changed such that a repour is needed to update the zones, this checkbox is automatically checked.

Is there an expected or intended use case that I have overlooked, where this would not be acceptable or would be a nuisance?

Or would it be a good idea that this checkbox is checked upon changed values in the zone manager?

Or would there need to be / would you wish there was a pop-up question:
“You have changed a value… [potential further explanation],
Do you want to repour when applying the changes made in this dialogue?
[Yes/No]”

I am curious to gather some opinions, before perhaps creating a wishlist item in gitlab.

I have version 8 running on Windows 10 and I edit a zone and get the same page I always get mine does not say ‘Zone Manager’ and it dosent have the ‘Repour’ check box am I missing something please ? :woozy_face:
:mouse:

Ok, I forgot to mention that the screenshot is from 8.99 nightly. There seem to have been updates done regarding the zone manager since 8.0.

You are still welcome to give any input you find relevant based on the screenshot and description above, if you wish.

I’m not familiar with V8.99, but my expectation is the “Repour” would only be a checkbox for whether the zone gets updated automatically or manually only (Just as the general setting in the settings in older KiCad versions). I also expect that either KiCad asks to update all zones during Gerber creation, or does so automatically. And that would be one of the most critical moments for zone boundary updates.

A ha ! thats ok and I think I would prefer the check box checked by default as I can’t off the top of my head think why I wouldn’t do that, however someone thinks there is a use case or why else would it be there ? But I would like it checked by default, and if someone has a need not to pour then they have that option not to :grinning:
:mouse:

1 Like