Y shortcut for mirror only works if rotate first?

Hi,

the behavior of Y shortcut was changed between v4 and v5? if i press Y over a component, the Value and Reference text don’t flip with the symbol, it just work if i rotate the component 180deg, is this correct?

Which OS? I think “Y” should still work as expected.

EEschema does only know front, there is no use for being able to read text from back by looking at the schematic from the back. So when you mirror or flip a symbol, the text always needs to be readable from the front, thus the developers decided that from left to right or bottom to top is all a schematic text would need to support and default to.

A feature to automatically place symbol fields was added to v5. I think it is on by default. Here is the General Options window from my 5.0.1 install:
2018-10-15%2020_29_39-Schematic%20Editor%20Options

See the bottom 3 check boxes.

In practical use, I’ve found that once you’ve overridden the autoplace on one field then autoplace is “turned off” for all fields of that component until you re-enable autoplace. I used the letter O keyboard shortcut in my trials. It seems that the autoplace shortcut (like rotate and mirror) works directly on a component in place and while moving it.

2 Likes

Thanks, disabling the second checkbox 'Allow field autoplace…" the behavior for Y and X shortcut’s are what i expected.

@davidsrsb - Windows 7 64bits
@Joan_Sparky - Ok, but in v4 the text do not flip, it just respect the original alignment related to the symbol, so in components without pin declaration (resistors, capacitors …) was easer to organize the schematic just flipping the component with Y and X … this is what i was missing about Y and X but @SembazuruCDE show me the way to configure kicad as my please.

Thank you guys for the help! really appreciated!

1 Like

The new behaviour is better, you usually want to flip the symbol eg a transistor, but leave the text. This fine control allows everyone to be happy.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.