Y-axis: perplexed

@jlm1948
You are so close to changes or approaching new sw that you don’t even want/try to learn how to quote using this forum tool correctly :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I’m British and drive on the left. When I drive in Europe, I drive on the right. Its no big deal - I even use my left hand drive car although I prefer to hire a right hand drive model. I can drive both and don’t have a meltdown because of the local arrangements.
There were good reasons why a 4th quadrant co-ordinate system was chosen when the project was first conceived. Plenty of people have got used to it and addressing it has been a relatively low priority as it does not affect the usability of the software. I am glad that developer time has been invested in the push and shove router, for instance, rather than this. Nevertheless, choices are good and because this is a FOSS project, this particular itch has been identified by a developer and the option to change it will be in the next version.

It wasn’t asked. The OP claimed to have done enough reading to know it was a problem but not a ‘fix’ in the next iteration? I think the it was obvious why the OP posted.

If this is important to you then perhaps YOU should have thought of that beginning with your opening ‘salvo’.

[quote=“maui, post:21, topic:24211”]
You are so close to changes or approaching new sw that you don’t even want/try to learn how to quote using this forum tool correctly
[/quote] I surmised stupidly and pretentiously that using the usual html tags would work, as it does in most other forums. Well, just another idiosyncracy…
The fact that the [/quote] tag was visible led me to believe it.
How wrong was I… Being a KiCad user and a KiCad forum member requires special dedication. One has to deserve it. Somewaht like a sect…

There is a ‘real time’ preview as you type of what will show up. When something obviously doesn’t work why stay with it? Perhaps you need an account on the Discourse forum software site as well?

1 Like

Yes, I’ve been meaning to bring that up!
The y-axis is perfect, but the x-axis is the wrong way around.
Any chance it could be reversed? :upside_down_face:

The forum software is Discourse and is widely used https://www.discourse.org/customers but 1500+ forums and their users have been doing it wrong all this time.

Ahahahah I’m considering this a joke…
BTW using a modern forum CMS like Discourse is just a worth learning nowdays.

If you select a section of text of someone’s post, this forum software shows “Quote” option next to it. Click it and it’s added to your post with tags. Move the cursor to the next line and start writing. If you start right away in the same line than the end quote tag, it doesn’t work correctly.

As was said, this forum software isn’t rare nowadays. I wonder how people could use at all it if was overly difficult…

lol. perfect encapsulation of your stubborn unproductive attitude

I think that the first time that I came across top left origin in computer video must have been around 1977
I remember designing discrete hardware logic pixel interpolation for the BBC with negative Y for NTSC-PAL standards conversion in 1981
CRTs scan down and this has created a lot of baggage

As an native speaker and reader of English I was taught to read starting at the top left so it I was coding something that’s probably how I’d think of it.

This has gone on too long. Some people find it a problem. The VOLUNTEER coders are addressing it. I doubt any of them were around when this decision was first made.

This should have been a very short thread.

1 Like

Every now and then we have here similar discussions where someone accuses the developers and the forum users of this and that. In your first post you started with “crippled from the start for lack of professional expertise”. You had a valid point about the coordinate system problem which everyone admits (it’s not the best, most of us would have selected otherwise if possible). You said you would rather continue with other software which is also OK. But othewise your arguments and statements have been based on counter to facts assumptions, and they seem to continue so. Basically it feels like personal attack and offence against other people. Don’t wonder if you don’t get positive response.

The KiCad project plans are driven by the users’ needs. But we don’t vote by shouting. In the bug database you can give a thumb up for an issue and it’s counted as a vote. The developers make their own decisions and consider the most voted features when they make plans. Your voice has now been heard, too, but only as one opinion. Trying to raise attention by hostile rhetorics doesn’t help your case at all.

Some people who start the discussion like that go to other forums and tell others that KiCad developers are unprofessional and don’t know what they are doing, and KiCad can’t be taken seriously in the professional world because of this and that, and that the users are an arrogant sect of fanboys.

Choose that, or choose just to continue your life with another software which suits you better. It’s your choice.

1 Like

Yeah, and maybe this can be closed because it’s going nowhere. The original poster can open new topics if needs help in something related to using KiCad. The opinions have now been told and heard in both ways.

What does it have to do with PCB drafting?