XT60 Footprint Is Reversed?

Heya! I just designed and ordered a PCB with a vertical XT60 connector on it, and I just noticed that the connector seems to be backwards? In KiCAD, pin 1 (the one with the notch on the connector housing) is marked as +, and connects to the positive terminal of the battery symbol. The other pin (round pin, 2, without the notch) is marked as -, and connects to the negative terminal of the battery symbol. But, looking at basically every XT60 connector out there, the notched pin (1) is -, and the other pin (2) is positive. Am I misunderstanding how KiCAD works? I can make my own footprints perfectly well, I just thought I’d ask because this is one of the built-in KiCAD footprints. I’ve attached an image showing what the standard for XT60 connectors seems to be. If I’m wrong, please tell me! I just thought I’d ask.

And here’s the KiCAD footprint, for reference
kicadconnector

As always, check against the parts you intend to use and stick them into a personal library that you trust as verified. But, yeah, looks backwards.

From what I can see there’s no real standard. You can find XT60s wired in both orientations. It’s a connector that’s been knocked off to death.

But, negative on pin 1 seems the most common

Random website that shows power on pin 1

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.