Wrong parts assignment when opening STEP files in Solidworks 2021

I think Im hitting a similar issue in 7.0.8 that was described in KiCad 7 STEP export with wrong board

The exported STEP opens correctly in Autodesk online Viewer for STEP, but in Solidworks some of the parts are messed up - some of the parts are replaced by parts which have same SOLID-*.step names in a sub-assembly. So for example the first level subassembly has a correct part name - like R_0603-1608Metric.step, but the part in that subassembly is called SOLID-4.step, which is in Solidworks rendered the same as a SOLID-4.step from a completely different subassembly - like PinHeader_1x04_P2.54mm_Vertical.step

I think renaming the SOLID-*.step parts to something unique to that specific part would fix this issue for Solidworks. This is not an issue creating assembly from two different KiCAD exported boards, but within one STEP exported board from KiCAD.

How the board should look like (shot from Autodesk Viewer (online))

The board from Solidworks 2021

The board from KiCAD (partly censored)

M.

If a KiCad export is readable in that autodesk software, then both must understand the same language.
When solidworks goes haywire with the same KiCad export then it’s extremely likely the error is with solidworks.

I have read several posts about bug(s) in solidworks. Apparently there is something when two imported step models have the same name or label, then one of them overwrites the other.

Should work better in some cases in 7.0.10:

But the general recommendation is to reset templates in SolidWorks, etc.

If it is the same/similar issue restarting Solidworks should allow you to open it correctly, I then usually save it as a Solidworks part.

Thanks for pointing this out, Ill check with 7.0.10 and report back.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.