Wizards not showing up

Hi there, a noob question. I try to find these “Wizards” for footprints

I cannot find the “Footprint Wizard” in Version > 5.xxx
You can see (or not see) it here: https://imgur.com/Xo7vmgH

You’re looking in Pcbnew for the footprint wizards, but they are a part of the Footprint Editor.
In KiCad V5.0.2 it looks like:

Some platforms do not come with them because there is a problem with dependencies (wxpython compiled against gtk2 is not available for some platforms. This was the main reason why there will be a 5.1 release.)

For us to determine if you are affected paste the version info found via help->about->copy version info

Thank you for your fast response :slight_smile:
My current version is: (5.0.2-5)-5, release build

the one I tried before was a the last nightly build: (5.1.0-rc2-9-ge30f37bfb), debug build

The reason why I search for this wizard is, that I try to handle and manage my libraries. I wanna use the “GitHub method” like it’s working in the “3D model wizard” where I select a Repo to keep track of. So I stay concise and up-to-date with the footprints. Or is my whole understanding of this process wrong?

Your last screenshot is from the “Symbol Library Editor”.
The “Footprint Wizards” are not there. They are in the “Footprint Editor”.
Look again at the title of my previous screenshot.

The “Github Method” has been discontinued some time ago, there were many complaits about constant internet traffic, Edit: and also because of what Rene says (See below).

There is no “3D Model Wizard”. 3D models are made with an external program.
If you want to add or change a 3D model, then you can select a footprint with the mouse in Pcbnew and press “e” for edit. Then in the “Footprint Properties” there are 2 tabs. One for the properties of the footprint, and one for changing / scaling / the 3D model for that Footprint.

I think we have a language / translation problem here.
Try to use simple sentences, and only say one thing in a sentence.
Start by explaining what you want to do exactly.
Alternatively, you can type your text in italian in Google Translate, and then copy and paste (+edit) the English translation here.

5.0.2 is not the full story. what does the dialog tell you that i listed above. Reminder: help->about->copy version info (This includes much more information including the info about which compilerflags where used.)

That is not the reason at all :wink: (We did not even consider this in our decission making process.)

We simply did not think that it is a good idea to update the libraries for every session without the user having any control about when an update happens.
Another important reason was that the github plugin requires every library to be its separate repo. This makes it near impossible for users to use any setup different than the github plugin (say you want to checkout a particular release of the library.) It also made maintenance extremely complicated.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.