Wires connecting to small squares, not round pin?

I think I am clicking on small circles with W command, but wires appear to attach to small squares leaving a “gap” to the pin resulting in there being no connection to the pin. Can someone please tell me what I may be doing incorrectly?

Hi Bob_Shaw,
i am not quite shure what you are asking for. Pictures are generally spoken a god idea to describe Problems.
If understand you correctly, you want to connect a Schematic ‘‘Wire’’ to a Symbol. To achive that you need to add the Symbol to the Schematic. The Hotkey ‘‘a’’ works great for that purpose. Then hover the mouse pointer/your ‘‘Eeschema-Crosshair’’ over one of the Pins which belongs to the Symbol you want to ‘‘connect’’ and left click. The green wire will appeare exactly where your mousepointer was and if there was a ‘‘Pin’’ symbolised by a thin Circel it will automaticly connect.

If not, you may be out of Grid. To correct that you right-click to the Schematic and select the right Grid Value under ‘‘Grid’’

1 Like

If there are no small circles or squares left after you did that, it is connected. The ‘gap’ is a canvas artifact.
If you still see circles/squares they’re not connected.

To test if stuff sticks, use the [G] key and move symbols/wires/junctions around, wires then rubber-band and you see if they stick or not… to cancel that ‘move’ just hit [ESC].

1 Like

Most likely the pins of the symbol you want to connect are not on grid. Either because the symbol uses a smaller grid than you are currently using or because you placed the symbol using a finer grid then you have now. Wires in Eeschema only snap to grid not to pins.

For both cases reducing the grid spacing should solve your problem. But I would suggest you ensure all pins of your schematic are on a quite coarse grid. (Somewhere between 25 and 100 Mil)

Thank you Detzi. I was not aligned to the grid! That solved it.
Bob Shaw

https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail
Virus-free.

https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>
1 Like