Window/mouse capture problems on Ubuntu VM with Windows host

I currently have two VMs that run about the same version of KiCad on a regular basis. One runs VMware on my Mac and another runs VirtualBox on Windows. Both Mac and Windows are the host machines, in the virtual environment I run Ubuntu.

For the VM running on a Windows host, I have a problem: the menus won’t work and occasionally the windows won’t close. It’ s pretty hard to tell if this is a window manager problem in Ubuntu, a KiCad problem with the window manager or a mouse capture problem in VirtualBox.

For now, I’m back to only running/capturing on my Mac host machine (Because that works). I’m wondering if anyone else has had the same problem with a VM or if there are any suggested tests I can do on my Windows host setup. I realize I could also run a Ubuntu dual boot, but for now I’m interested in maintaining a Windows host VM because I use it for other things as well.

Thanks!

Tried disabling “mouse integration” already? Make sure you’ve set the “host key” in the preferences menu, or you won’t get your mouse pointer back :wink:

That is the thing that leads me to believe it’s the combo of KiCad + VM. I can do just about anything else on that Ubuntu VM, just the window manager is wonky. I already checked the mouse integration and tried it on and off. I use the host key to go full screen, so I think that is set too.

Try a usb mouse just for the vm. Don’t share a mouse with the host.

Tried this again today. It’s actually only in the eeschema, not pcbnew. I can select any button but all of the pull down menus will not open. Pretty much giving up on this VM.

This is on Ubuntu 14.10, my other one is 14.04 that seems to work better, though it’s on a different host machine.

Are you by any chance using the vmmouse driver in the VM? Over the years I’ve had similar problems like yours, solved by removing/disabling the specific vmmouse driver. The downside being no seamless mouse experience.

I tried that, but the mouse performs just fine in other programs, even within the KiCad realm. I think it might be time to wipe this VM and start over. Other VMs I have seem to work OK.

The problem may, in fact, be caused by the Windows Update problem. You can do one thing, i,e, update the Windows and then restart the system. You can also check the Windows status. If it is not satisfactory, then reset the Windows following the steps given on Windows update error code 8007000e and get a better service from the system.