Will my Custom Footprint work?

I hereby certify that I am not simply asking someone else to design a footprint for me.

This is an auto-generated message that is in place on the “footprints” section of the KiCad.info forum. If I remove it and ask for a footprint to be designed anyway, I understand that I will be subject to forum members telling me to go design my own footprint or referring me to a 3rd party footprint site.

Here’s the steps I took to design a footprint for a PC Tab as pictured below.

I wasn’t happy with the standard two hole footprint and so I’m trying to create a custom
footprint as seen in the pic below.

I started with the old footprint.

To create my new footprint I added a pad in the middle and then I made all three pads
a rectangle and expanded their sizes until they touched each other.
So far this has succeeded but now I have to address some clearance issues reported by the DRC.

Regards,
Dan

Looks like a good start.
A few extra remarks:

1. Give all pads the same pad number. Then KiCad will tread them as a single pad.
  2. It would have been simpler if you let the outermost pads be round, and then a rounded! rectangle in the middle.
  3. There is very little copper around the center pad. I would either make the center hole a bit smaller, or make the pad wider. You can also make the center pad round, that will create “bulges” around the hole.
  4. To not make the pads “touch” each other. Create an overlap so you are sure they can never be separated from each other.
  5. If you still have remaining DRC messages, then post them here.

What’s the centre hole for?

Tried your suggestions. Will report back soon.

Regards,
Dan

I have to review my schematic symbols now so I’ll report back tomorrow.

Regards,
Dan

With this:

I intended to make the center pad so wide that it reaches to the outside of the two round pads. That way the center pad defines the full pad size, while the other two are only used for the hole.

Alternatively, there is an option to add an offset to the pad relative to the hole. You can use this to do something fancy if you want to experiment with option 3).

And for the schematic, just use a symbol with just a single pin. It’s only one electrical connection, even though your faston has 2 prongs or 3 holes.

Forging ahead. Pondering the best was to correct ‘silkscreen clipped by soldermask’.

Regards,
Dan

Silkscreen graphics is probably needless for that component. Remove it from the footprint and see what happens.

Many thanks for all the helpful hints. My design is now what I consider perfect. Zero DRC faults!

Regards,
Dan

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.